COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Xenophobia Against Chinese People (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
stayoncemoa
Pronouns
he/they
Despite that everyone and their mother knows China, it seems as if everyone wants it to die out and become less known. Things that are either directly a part of Chinese culture or trends that sprouted in China are often appropriated mocked or rebranded to be from another country. Like do you guys think China is a disease or something? (pun VERY intended)
Now and then I see people rag on China even though a lot of the media, clothes, trends, grocery products, etc they consume are Chinese.
TikTok - I'm sure we all know by this point that the parent company of TikTok is Chinese
Tanghulu - Despite the uninformed American unnies screaming that this is Korean,
1. It is most definitely Chinese
2. Tanghulu isn't even a Korean word which makes this all the more comical
Chinese songs trending on TikTok - Every time a Chinese song trends on TikTok it's always because annoying kids think Cantonese sounds "funny" or "weird". Even worse, sometimes they take the artists who sing these songs and start projecting onto actual people. They'll go around asking any random Asian they see if they're the one who sings that song. Joke or not, that's gross and you shouldn't do that
Wonyoungism - "ERM actualalaly Kriss, Wonyoungism is Korean bc it's based off Wonyou-" SHUT UP I KNOW DAMNIT. I'm talking about a specific trend among Wonyoungism influencers. A lot of them post lifestyle stuff and I fw that a bit and I think it's cool. But the issue is when they post "Korean Makeup" when it's a makeup from Xiaohongshu & Douyin (Chinese social apps). Sometimes they dare to post screenshots that have Mandarin writing on them and still call it Korean.
These are just examples but sometimes it's more outwardly hateful like the U.S. government trying to remove TikTok (+ CapCut because it's connected to that app) because of it being managed by a Chinese company and claiming it spies on users, takes stored data for malicious purposes, or claiming that the app is used to spread propaganda for Chinese communist party. Shou Chew (the current CEO) was even asked at the conference if he was affiliated with it. But when explaining to the officials that he's Singaporean (of the country Singapore) and not Chinese they continued bombarding him with questions that were silly and best but flat-out ignorant for the worst.
I'm not doing this just because AAPI month is happening currently, but also because the Chinese have also affected the history of my motherland a lot in the past I feel because of that I should care, and even if you don't relate to that you should too. Chinese people have created so many beautiful inventions, clothes, makeup trends, communities, tech etc but some people seem to think they're so insignificant
Chinese influence is everywhere not to be going away any time soon. The more you shun it and blow raspberries to it, the more it's gonna be visible to you

Last edited:
Reactions Received
KS Coins
It's very irrational, and the irrationality is coming from the very top (the US government).
Of course it sucks, but I'm through gnashing my teeth at racism, because racism is a self-defeating ideology.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread