COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Political Question (1 Viewer)

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
Reactions Received
KS Coins
So the contenders for the 2020 US election are starting to lay the foundation of their campaign message. One of the things that Bernie Sanders is recommending is the right for prisoners to vote in presidential elections.

What are your thoughts? Do you think prisoners should be allowed to vote for the presidency? Why or why not?

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
💡 Lightbulb
Ship
No, because then politicians will start catering their policies towards criminals in attempt to get their vote.
It's a nice idea in theory I guess, but imo, there is no way it would actually work out favorably for society.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Bernie is such an idiot ugh cant stand him. But no i dont think they should vote. They’re criminals why should they get to vote.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'm quite neutral. Prisoners can be in prison for lot of reasons and voting could help them still to feel bit more included with society and help them in reform process and they are citizens despite of crimes they aren't in exile. In other hand they might not have best sense in who to vote. But well I guess I would actually say they should have the right to vote, they are rather small part of population (well not sure in USA they jail lot of peopel but i still don't think they are that big part taking accord whole population? xd) so I don't think they can affect it that badly. So since they are citizens they should have right to vote.

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
Reactions Received
KS Coins
No, because then politicians will start catering their policies towards criminals in attempt to get their vote.
It's a nice idea in theory I guess, but imo, there is no way it would actually work out favorably for society.
Hm. Less than 1% of the US population is incarcerated. I don't think any candidate would risk being ostracized by the GP just for that small percentage of a vote.

Last edited:

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Meanwhile a prisioner almost ran for president in my country :kijoongstare:

Its a no no for me.

Democracy still has a lot of problems anyway, specially republics.

I prefer parlamentarism.

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
💡 Lightbulb
Ship
Hm. Less than 1% of the US population are incarcerated. I don't think any candidate would risk being ostracized by the GP just for that small percentage of a vote.
that is true, yet we currently have a presidential candidate that has suggested that as a good idea. he might not be doing it because it's what he thinks is right and not because he wants their votes, but it's still a suggestion that he's making.
we don't know what might happen in the future that might change the scenario (though I doubt it would happen, more people could get thrown into prison i suppose?).

what's your opinion on the matter?

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
Reactions Received
KS Coins
that is true, yet we currently have a presidential candidate that has suggested that as a good idea. he might not be doing it because it's what he thinks is right and not because he wants their votes, but it's still a suggestion that he's making.
we don't know what might happen in the future that might change the scenario (though I doubt it would happen, more people could get thrown into prison i suppose?).

what's your opinion on the matter?
It's really tough..
His viewpoint on it comes from the belief that the criminal justice system has a strong racial bias towards non-whites and the suppression of voting is another way that slavery is still alive (coupled with the fact that many prisoners perform contracted work for the government for next to no pay; but that's a conversation for another time).

I think my ideal outcome would be to categorize voter eligibility in prisons by the severity of the crime. I mean if someone is serving 2 months in jail for having some weed on them, I don't think they should lose the ability to vote. But I don't think someone who murdered someone in cold blood should have the right.

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
💡 Lightbulb
Ship
It's really tough..
His viewpoint on it comes from the belief that the criminal justice system has a strong racial bias towards non-whites and the suppression of voting is another way that slavery is still alive (coupled with the fact that many prisoners perform contracted work for the government for next to no pay; but that's a conversation for another time).

I think my ideal outcome would be to categorize voter eligibility in prisons by the severity of the crime. I mean if someone is serving 2 months in jail for having some weed on them, I don't think they should lose the ability to vote. But I don't think someone who murdered someone in cold blood should have the right.
that I agree with :/

this is a pretty complicated topic
:jisoosmh::jisoosmh::jisoosmh:

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Yep. Pretty much this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread