COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Have you ever noticed how idols from lesser known companies are more likely to sing live? (1 Viewer)

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
Obviously there are a few exceptions (like nmixx, baby monster and aespa) who sing live often. But I feel like its more common for groups from smaller companies like Unis or Kiss of Life or Geenius​

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
☾ gg stan ☽
Pronouns
☾ he/she ☽
i have noticed this recently !! :TechiNod: and rescene have sung live a bit, perhaps not 100% because i definitely hear backing tracks, but at least i've heard their voices, which is getting rarer these days sadly :sanapray: they are very talented too !! :pandaamazed: :pandalove: don't sleep on them !! :pandamad: :pandacop: their songs are both on my all time favorites list too :sakUwu: (and they should be on yours too :jisoono: :haylul:)

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
i have noticed this recently !! :TechiNod: and rescene have sung live a bit, perhaps not 100% because i definitely hear backing tracks, but at least i've heard their voices, which is getting rarer these days sadly :sanapray: they are very talented too !! :pandaamazed: :pandalove: don't sleep on them !! :pandamad: :pandacop: their songs are both on my all time favorites list too :sakUwu: (and they should be on yours too :jisoono: :haylul:)

They are great and definitely on my list of groups to look out for :ankha:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
☾ gg stan ☽
Pronouns
☾ he/she ☽
They are great and definitely on my list of groups to look out for :ankha:
as you should !! :sanapray: i want a mini album right now :nekopout: i hate single albums, but theirs might be the best one i've heard :sicacry: it's so beautiful !! :pandaamazed:

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
as you should !! :sanapray: i want a mini album right now :nekopout: i hate single albums, but theirs might be the best one i've heard :sicacry: it's so beautiful !! :pandaamazed:
I’m done with this whole single albums trend, at least give us a mini :gengarpout:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
☾ gg stan ☽
Pronouns
☾ he/she ☽
I’m done with this whole single albums trend, at least give us a mini :gengarpout:
agreed agreed agreed:catcry: witnessing the d3ath of mini albums and full albums has been painful as heck not to mention the slow but increasing decline in song bridges :maheart: i love this generation of course, but i don't like this part of it :sicacry: at least ive is keeping me fed with their album last year and their newest release, and soon to be aespa as well !! :sakUwu: so i have a teensy bit of hope !! :sanapray: :lisalaugh:

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
agreed agreed agreed:catcry: witnessing the d3ath of mini albums and full albums has been painful as heck not to mention the slow but increasing decline in song bridges :maheart: i love this generation of course, but i don't like this part of it :sicacry: at least ive is keeping me fed with their album last year and their newest release, and soon to be aespa as well !! :sakUwu: so i have a teensy bit of hope !! :sanapray: :lisalaugh:
At the absolute minimum I am okay with 4 songs, anything less is disappointing :gengarpout:

Heartbeat

you had me at hello
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
sm idols all sing live as far as I have seen. its just idols from all other big labels (especially hybe) dont sing live
SM uses many pre-recorded tracks for music shows tho'

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Pronouns
she/her
SM uses many pre-recorded tracks for music shows tho'
labels dont care about music shows because they only loose money from it, so I can understand idols not singing live on them tbh.
I was talking more about other performances (like concerts, awards ceremonies, other shows, yt content etc).
so far idols from hybe (talking about the ones debuting after txt/enhypen especially) havent shown any good vocal performance so far.
even riize recently uploaded a live ver of their song 'honestly' so they were able to show their vocal ability already.
I believe they also performend live at award shows even though they are a rookie group.

Heartbeat

you had me at hello
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
labels dont care about music shows because they only loose money from it, so I can understand idols not singing live on them tbh.
I was talking more about other performances (like concerts, awards ceremonies, other shows, yt content etc).
so far idols from hybe (talking about the ones debuting after txt/enhypen especially) havent shown any good vocal performance so far.
even riize recently uploaded a live ver of their song 'honestly' so they were able to show their vocal ability already.
I believe they also performend live at award shows even though they are a rookie group.
I love Riize, but they barely sing live
Even the Honestly performance was not live or at least HEAVILY edited
Big companies are better in tricking people that their artists are singing live, because their pre recorded tracks are a bit more unpolished. But they still edit out breathing sounds and you never hear movements in their voices when they are dancing while singing

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Pronouns
she/her
I love Riize, but they barely sing live
Even the Honestly performance was not live or at least HEAVILY edited
Big companies are better in tricking people that their artists are singing live, because their pre recorded tracks are a bit more unpolished. But they still edit out breathing sounds and you never hear movements in their voices when they are dancing while singing
not sure which performances u saw, but I heard breathing in theirs

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
sm idols all sing live as far as I have seen. its just idols from all other big labels (especially hybe) dont sing live
We all saw what happened when Le Sserafim sung live at Coachella. Thats why companies especially the big4 will allow their artists to lipsync. They have an image to uphold and kpop fans can be absolutely ruthless. Idols can’t even have fun or show emotions on encore stage without being dragged into the ground. ILLIT’s encore stage as an example where the members were literally crying but people were more focused on their vocals. I may ult them but I am not gonna be delusional and say they sing live all the time.

Moving away from Hybe artists, SM artists have also been caught (and criticized for) lipsyncing. There have been multiple instances where Girl’s Generation was caught lipsyncing. In a performance of Step Back by GOT the Beat, Taeyeon had a high note and didn’t keep her mouth open for the whole duration of it. Aespa does sing live quite a bit but they have also been caught lipsyncing on multiple occasions… which I don’t understand why since they are great vocalists. However, if lipsyncing was banned SHINee would be totally safe. And I am not just saying that to be biased. But I’m sure we could point out other Big4 groups that sing mostly live too, like Nmixx. They have stunning vocalists. Riize has also been caught lip syncing, especially for music shows.

So to say SM artists only sing live is inaccurate. And to round out the Big4, Jisoo lipsynced on her debut solo performance (YG) and Nayeon of Twice has been caught lipsyncing too. Absolutely no hate to any of the artists I mentioned, I stan many of them or respect their artisty. Lipsyncing is as common as anything else in kpop.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Pronouns
she/her
We all saw what happened when Le Sserafim sung live at Coachella. Thats why companies especially the big4 will allow their artists to lipsync. They have an image to uphold and kpop fans can be absolutely ruthless. Idols can’t even have fun or show emotions on encore stage without being dragged into the ground. ILLIT’s encore stage as an example where the members were literally crying but people were more focused on their vocals. I may ult them but I am not gonna be delusional and say they sing live all the time.

Moving away from Hybe artists, SM artists have also been caught (and criticized for) lipsyncing. There have been multiple instances where Girl’s Generation was caught lipsyncing. In a performance of Step Back by GOT the Beat, Taeyeon had a high note and didn’t keep her mouth open for the whole duration of it. Aespa does sing live quite a bit but they have also been caught lipsyncing on multiple occasions… which I don’t understand why since they are great vocalists. However, if lipsyncing was banned SHINee would be totally safe. And I am not just saying that to be biased. But I’m sure we could point out other Big4 groups that sing mostly live too, like Nmixx. They have stunning vocalists. Riize has also been caught lip syncing, especially for music shows.

So to say SM artists only sing live is inaccurate. And to round out the Big4, Jisoo lipsynced on her debut solo performance (YG) and Nayeon of Twice has been caught lipsyncing too. Absolutely no hate to any of the artists I mentioned, I stan many of them or respect their artisty. Lipsyncing is as common as anything else in kpop.
I never stated they sing live all the time. even shinee doesnt sing live all the time to protect their vocals.
as for myself, idols are singers, they make music and perform music. they are not dancers or performers. so idols HAVE to sing.
and if they simply cant sing, its right to critizize them and their label for it. its just bad training in the end or they are not cut out to be singers
in the first place. and having a big mouth without the skills to back it up, is just delusional and arrogant.

what I tried to say is, that sm stands more out within the big labels when it comes to vocals.
they have good vocal training too, so even though they sometimes dont sing live, u can be sure they actually can sing.
their killing voice performances just proofs that.

callistemon

Thunder ⚡️
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Stingray
Pronouns
She/her
Ship
Wreck
I never stated they sing live all the time. even shinee doesnt sing live all the time to protect their vocals.
as for myself, idols are singers, they make music and perform music. they are not dancers or performers. so idols HAVE to sing.
and if they simply cant sing, its right to critizize them and their label for it. its just bad training in the end or they are not cut out to be singers
in the first place. and having a big mouth without the skills to back it up, is just delusional and arrogant.

what I tried to say is, that sm stands more out within the big labels when it comes to vocals.
they have good vocal training too, so even though they sometimes dont sing live, u can be sure they actually can sing.
their killing voice performances just proofs that.
Idols have to have the whole package, or at least be decent at all areas. They don’t necessarily have to be an ace, but at least sound and look decent on stage. What bothers me is when companies prioritize visuals over talent. Yes they have to sing good but they also have to be able to decently dance and/or rap. Idols are BOTH singers and dancers/performers. I completely agree with criticism towards idols who can’t sing and the companies who debut them. Kpop doesn’t need just another pretty face. Yes SM has good vocalists but that can be said aboit so many other companies and groups, it’s not an exclusive thing. Going back to my original post, it is still more common for nugu companies to have their artists sing live and be experimental with vocal techniques…even when they should be resting their vocals.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I would say ppl like SNSD and /Taeyeon have long ago proved they can go live.
I have heard that SM rarely allows live singing the first week of a come back. Thats the week when they are there are 2-4 am for prerecording.
i know for Red flavor Red velvet left sm town for the Salon/studio and never went home untill after the show wrapped filming ect.

When i was at the music shows its kinda weird all the performances are prerecorded. but the Kids still com on stage and preform a chunk of the number.

i would bet some of the music show number are a edited track from the prerecording that the kids sing over to the in studio audience.

StayC tends to sing live because radon wants them to learn from failing.

but its a mixed bag like i watched a few of the iland2 numbers and da4% bad/ flat ?screachy ect..

And those shows tend to really produce teh numbers.
Kinda why nako scored so high in house she hit the notes many others did not even thought teh broadcast showed them doing so (except for those they want to throw under teh bus)

Japan shows tend to be pretty liveish.

Music shows are pretty much all lip sync. If ya listen to the reality show judges/ trainers they will drop the line your not on a music show you have to sing live, all the time.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread