• Dear Guest, not receiving any emails from our forum to confirm your account? Please check your junk/spam folder on your email client.

KS PRESS Younha ‘Unstable Mindset’ Album Review (1 Viewer)

kpopshop

Sponsored Advertisement

Reaction score
Reading Time: 5 minutes
Unstable mindset (Younha)

Unstable Mindset is Younha’s fifth mini-album with a contrasting title to her previous EP Stable Mindset. The tracks on this winter-themed album seem to share the sound of melancholy. If winter blues had a sound, it would be this album. Whether it is the higher and rather filled songs like “Winter Flower” or more low-key ones like “See You,” all of them are gorgeously tinged with desolation.

Younha

1. Winter Flower

Due to it featuring RM of BTS, “Winter Flower” received a lot of attention and positive feedback overall.The song gradually builds up a trance-like atmosphere, starting with low-key and heavy piano with bassy percussion joining in later. A blooming pre-chorus sounds which allows an overflowing and hard-hitting chorus to follow. The heavy guitar, buzzing synths, thick bass, gritty percussion, RM’s adlibs and the powerful vocals make up for an impactful chorus which feels like a blasting snowstorm. Younha’s voice wraps around the melody skillfully as it assists in heightening the climax of the song.

The bridge explodes into the culminating last chorus in which Younha’s voice pierces through the soul. “Winter Flower” is a sentimental song which gives a feeling of abandonment. The imagery of running away and abandoning worldly worries comes to mind especially when the chorus hits, giving an odd sense of serenity. It is a seasonal masterpiece and definitely my favorite track from the EP.

Rating: 5/5

2. Dark Cloud

“Dark Cloud”—another powerful ballad—takes on a gentle start with minor key piano that evolves to major key along with the addition of light percussion. The barely audible sound of rain is present at the start.

Like every song on this EP, Younha’s vocals stand out. The chorus is a mesh of synths, guitars and sweet harmonies, and the high note further adds to its fullness. The contrast of whispering vocals along with the intensification in guitars in the second chorus is eargasmic. The bridge gives off a distorting vibe as the same note on piano is played continuously.

The song ends with the sound of rain and thunder as tranquil piano is heard in the background.

Rating: 4/5

3. See You

I would have barely liked this song if it wasn’t for the euphonious vocals. It starts off with Younha’s vocals lightly floating on a somber piano. The sound shifts to a brighter one in the chorus as a few strings and light percussion joins in.

The second half of the song is less empty than the first one with the addition of percussive rhythm in the verses. Younha’s flavorful voice and honeyed harmonies along with the twinkling piano save this song from being bland. Nonetheless, it still feels rather empty and lacking.

Rating: 3/5

To Continue reading, click on the link below.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like these descriptions. :sanapray:
I think describing Younha's voice as a "blasting snowstorm" in "Winter Flower" is really apt.
That's the imagery they used in the M/V as well.
I am glad the supreme master approves. :sanapray:
The animated M/V? I haven't watched it yet.

la_mort_pour_vous

Try To Make Yourself A Work Of Art
Reaction score
A Singularity in the 3C 75 Black Hole System
Ship
I am glad the supreme master approves. :sanapray:
The animated M/V? I haven't watched it yet.
It's inspired by "The Little Prince". It's a cute one but I felt like the production value could've been higher for such a relatively successful track.

Reactions: Skinnny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)