COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Why Halle Bailey's cast as Ariel is wrong. (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I've seen a lot of comments on SNS about this issue, some with logical reasoning and others full of ignorance, so I wanted to share my opinion with you on this matter.

The truth is that Disney, actually gives a full blow on the fight for diversity and representation on movies with this choice. They've discovered how to profit from the thirst of a generation, who feels the injustice against minorities and the lack of role models for themselves. This has nothing to do with Halle's talent (and she is very talented and beautiful), Disney just wants to use her to "demonstrate" they care for minorities but at the same time, damages the whole purpose of inclusion. It has always been about adding more not about replacing.

How can we ask respect and faithful representation of ourselves, if we don't give the same respect to others?
They'll go with it anyways and people will fell for it but just keep in mind, as I stated before, that it doesn't help in the battle for inclusion, on the contrary, creates more and more division.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yeah agree with you. Disney doesn't care that much.
Changes do happen though when it comes to Disney just how Andi Mack is possible at all.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
For the sake of profit Disney is slowly weeding out white people (whether or not they are actually white who knows I mean literally anyone that looks white). Though if they (Disney) would just rip off the bandaid and stop casting pale people for main roles I doubt anyone would say anything against. Because Disney knows the only people who are more likely to say something would get painted as racist and/or old. So in comes money from the less represented group and Disney doesn't have to create anything new for them.

It seemingly is a perfect, all be it, half-arse way of making money.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
As a life long Disney fan I can say i have not seen any of the live action remakes non do i intend too.
There is no need to remake these except Hollywood has zero ideas anymore.
The charm of animated movies is they are just sticking a toe in reality.
Disney has an entire catalog of some of the best and most fun live action movies.

Well if Jessica or Taeyeon were cast as lead i would have to to go, but other than that.

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
As a life long Disney fan I can say i have not seen any of the live action remakes non do i intend too.
Disney has an entire catalog of some of the best and most fun live action movies.

Well if Jessica or Taeyeon were cast as lead i would have to to go, but other than that.
I heard rumors that Walt Disney has in his will that these remakes should happen so people in every age can enjoy it.
Don't know how true it is though just saw this one going around for some reason.

I personally watched some and I am not loving all they did so far.

Reactions Received
KS Coins

I think the only live action I'll attempt is Mulan because how are they going to pull that off with keeping it Disney. It looks awesome, but you know - agian - DIsney. No stabby stabby jam and kittens no perma dead (with the exception of parents they can die)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I heard rumors that Walt Disney has in his will that these remakes should happen so people in every age can enjoy it.
Don't know how true it is though just saw this one going around for some reason.

wow, if that so its a silly idea. The cartoons have worked for 80 years and 4+ generations since snow white.

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
wow, if that so its a silly idea. The cartoons have worked for 80 years and 4+ generations since snow white.
yeah think so too. It is intresting though. Such rumors about Walt Disney are always quite fun to suddenly hear :D

cand.png

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Halle play Ariel but there's no escaping the fact that Disney did this as a PR move. If this was a case of purely just picking the best actress then they would have had actresses of all different races auditioning but by the looks of things, they were specifically looking for a black actress so they knew exactly what they were doing.

To be honest, I'd rather watch a new animated movie based on a princess from African history/mythology rather than see a black Little Mermaid but whatever...

taemkitten

누난 너무 예뻐
Reactions Received
KS Coins
To be honest, I'd rather watch a new animated movie based on a princess from African history/mythology rather than see a black Little Mermaid but whatever...
I would LOVE this.

They started a bit to head in that direction with Moana - told a story about a different culture, different values, different symbolism than the traditional borrowing from European fairy tales (and instead borrowing from more lore in the Pacific islands). But I'd love to see them continue to expand across the continents and cultures. Keep the European fairy tales as they are, and build upon the vast number of tales across the different countries and continents - there's so much more to explore that's lost to the endless cycle of "rinse, wash, repeat" on their current catalog.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'm not really into changing races of characters and look that often are quite iconic in process. I think it would go lot better if instead more diverse characters were added and got their own movies and adaptions.

Like with Marvel, they have been changing existing characters around a bit, but overall that hasn't added that much diversity in their overall cast. If they wanted to add lots they could just make Young Avengers movie, they would get jewish, black and latina characters, they would get gay couple, lesbian and bisexual characters. And even with existing characters, they could have shown Loki's genderfluid and pansexual aspects, but they choose not to. They have already existing assests they could use, but they decide rather change existing character, often side character and call it a day.

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
The only problem I see with it is that Disney straight up just used Halle for marketing purposes. Nobody knew about a Ariel live action movie, at least as much as I know. And boom they release the news of a "black Ariel" and it goes viral, exactly what they wanted.

I know Halle from her older videos where she covered songs with her sister, she's freaking amazing and I'm sure she'll do a great job but the way she was utilized to make it known that an Ariel live action is happening is just so disheartening.

It's also worth noting that Ariel is the only redheaded Disney princess. A lot of girls (and possibly also boys) looked up to her because of that, because she looked like them. I think depriving them and a new generation of redheaded fans their own Disney princess is a bit cruel because of that.
Yeah, people have been saying as well that weirdly enough, most of redheaded characters are portrayed by a person of color instead of a redheaded actor/actress etc. which is just genuinely weird that it doesn't seem possible to either cast redheaded actors/actresses or have people dye their hair/put on a wig, again nothing personally against it but it's just confusing that it seems to be redheaded characters most of the time

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Yeah, there is SOOOOO much they could actually do with A LOT of different cultures, create new amazing animations instead of just cash grabbing through live action movies which look good, but will never be as good as their original animation counter part

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins

Even if he does have it in his will, the remakes he had in his head were all white-dominated, as he was not only incredibly racist, but very ignorant as well. I'm just hoping that we get to a point that diversity is a natural thing, and not used to make money, like OP said.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I just realized that Jessica has never cracked a Frozen pun :umjicry:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I just realized that Jessica has never cracked a Frozen pun :umjicry:
someone did tell her she was not the ice queen or something like that. Wow that was a long time ago.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Marketing ploy or not, I'm genuinely excited for this movie and to see a black actress play the role

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Even if he does have it in his will, the remakes he had in his head were all white-dominated, as he was not only incredibly racist, but very ignorant as well. I'm just hoping that we get to a point that diversity is a natural thing, and not used to make money, like OP said.
yeah that's what I do hope for too

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Also if we got Jessica as a Disney princess maybe we could see her curtsy :)

Kimono

Woo Woo Wa Baby
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I honestly thought it said Halle Berry and was going say “isn’t she a little old?”. The black casting is great. I hope this lady can act as I have not heard of her before. I didn’t like Beauty and the Beast picking Emma Watson. She had the looks but didn’t like the acting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread