COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Appreciation What made me stan? (Red Velvet Edition) (1 Viewer)

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Herro, I am, for the most part, someone that does not enjoy girl groups, or at least not the standard girl group, so I try and find something different that I might like.
With RV that was not evident at all, they seemed like the most basic of all gg's with cheesy, cutesy and uninspired songs like Rookie and Red Flavor
They also didn't appeal to me visually that much as they just looked like a standard cute gg... so I ignored it
The only song I liked at the time was Happiness and I had no idea why exactly that was :areyouforreal:

Anyway, the turning point wasn't any 1 song or something it was multiple things actually
It definitely started with Wendy
I may have disliked everything about RV at the time (especially Irene) but I loved Wendy
Why?
Cause of that damned voice of hers :junweary:
It's like an angel whispering into my ear :yes:
Besides my vocal thirst for Wendy they released Bad Boy and man that song was everything but cute and awoke another type of thirst within me
and I became thirsty af I admit :llama_BLEED: They were frkin sexy
The song itself I enjoyed very much, the only reason I watched the mv was cause of how good it sounded when I heard snippets
Now what happened next was a series of events I can only explain as me being a very generous person
I made like a thread asking for good b-sides and someone sent me Mr.E and I was like... wow this is actually good
Then I heard Zoo... I don't remember how exactly... liked that too
Then RBB happened and I was like too much screaming in this one :pandaannoyed:
Nothing in particular happened in between this besides me suddenly not hating on Irene cause i finally found her actually visually appealing aka really frkin good looking
Then Joy did this

You can imagine my reaction now that I could actually separate her face from the other members that weren't Wendy and Irene :pandatea:
To continue nothing happened in between really until Zimzalabim and when it was released I was kinda already stanning but... I hadn't noticed lol
And I loved Zimzalabim and I could actually recognize all of the members cause a person you may all know had a lot of Seulgi everywhere :pepeheart:
So I was already stanning at that point but... I only like to say that I stan something when I listen to their entire discography...
So I downloaded their albums for my return trip from my vacation and I got even more songs I really liked like Kingdom Come
Then Umpah somehow managed to get into my brain on the first listen and I was willingly listening to an ear worm song :pepecross:
That's how far they have taken me

Now onto what exactly makes them so distinct...
I'll separate it into a few things

1) Visuals
I do not have to explain this do I? no? no! no.
2) Vocals
So besides loving Wendys sexylishous vocalishousness RV actually don't sound screechy unlike some gg's, they have quite distinct voices, I think I only get Yeri and Joy mixed up sometimes while the other 3 are pretty easily discernible. And having a single stand out vocal will always help when it's me in question cause all I need is that 1 killer vocal.
3) Song quality
So their titles aren't always for my taste but their b-sides are much better than what some titles might lead you to think, I didn't like Power Up but i loved Mr.E for example and it was similar with their earlier titles. The newer ones I like a lot more.
4) Amount of available content
They are still quite young as a group but they have a ginormous discography. Yes 5 years is a lot but idk I still see em as having a long career ahead of em, and without army enlistment for them, it's something I can look forward to indefinitely.
5) Number of members
There is 5 of them, legit an ideal number if you ask me, not too much not too little... just enough for me to care :bigcatclap:

Curious about other stuff I might think about RV but forgot to mention? Go ahead and ask!

RV Taglist: @Mangoey @Baechu @Xeulgi @kuro @mirella @Chlorine @itzybitzyblink @Walnutt @Mangoey @NogaNono @RandAlThor @SugaRush @Minuteman @Queen @imyourkilljoy @JoanaIsHere @goyo @DimashVirus @PetitBonheur @AnotherKpopTrash @bulletproof @potato @cassouletteu @Tpse @SakinoSweety @OnlyCalB @Reo @SaviorTXT
Jesus there is a lot of us...

I leave y'all with this beautiful gif of my bias that i enlarged so you could see it all

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
The only song I liked at the time was Happiness and I had no idea why exactly that was :areyouforreal:
and awoke another type of thirst within me
and I became thirsty af I admit :llama_BLEED:
I was kinda already stanning but... I hadn't noticed lol
Then Umpah somehow managed to get into my brain on the first listen and I was willingly listening to an ear worm song :pepecross:
That's how far they have taken me
:haylul::haylul::haylul::haylul::haylul:

Probably not your intention, but this has me dying, LOL!

Anyway....ahem. You have taste. That's what made you stan :sakUwu:

But really, great post xD

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
Red Velvet's title tracks are quirky and experimental for sure, so it's understandable why they are a hit or miss with people.

But RV's b-sides are great quality and variety. They also have an incredible harmony that is second to non for GG's. When they sing together, which they do during most choruses of their songs for example, it's stunning!

I'm glad you have noticed RV more and more over time. If you haven't listened to all their b-sides, take the time when your have it to go through them all lol. I'm sure you'll find others you'll love.

:pikahappy:

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
Red Velvet is definitely one of my favorite girl groups. So many of their songs are gold and The Red is probably my favorite GG album.

:maheart:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I Loved Happiness was a fan of the debut was watching that thru the holler cb. They were the only group that broke thru my 9/30 cloud to get me to check out the cb.
ICC and i saw the promotion and was like hey wait were there not 4 of them last time?

I was still a mess and did not dive deep into the cb until i got back into kpop for party.

By the time Lionheart dropped i was a serious fan and was in stan mode for the red watching the teasers and the early vlives ect.

2015-16 was quite the roller coaster. After DD and ICC they were the new GG.
MGT was building ( i loved gfriend from the moment i saw them waiting for Party on mcoutdown) and loa was not my thing.
Rough blew up, OOTN crashed and burned as much as I freaking loved that album(first time i started buying multiples.) Cheer up then navillera then tt and still no rv cb. When RR came over Chuseok the earth had moved and RV's hit was buried then bp came and sucked up any remaining buzz. lol it was a weird year added to the fx and snsd drama (no cb) folks were not happy with sm.

2017 was a string of red hits with the surprise of pab(again late fall and got killed chart wise.) Rookie was the first time i bought all editions in pre order. for any group. I had been preordering 2 for cards since the velvet. (btw now i pretty much buy all editions for any group i stan (not the wizone editions of izone still cannot figure out how to get those and i really do not need tickets to events i cant attend :) ).) I flew to Korea to see all 3 Red Room shows.
It was a watershed moment in my kpop life i got seriously committed..

oh the other velvet was in the living room in the cd player :)

2018 went to Red mare in Korea again and the Chicago fan-meet. bought way way to many summer magic le :).

2019 went to 2 of the us shows.

I am a fairly serious fan i think :) . Maybe there was some rebound attachment there but I am way past that now.

ill have to take a new pic but its crazy :) 70 something rv albums, blue ray the photo books and calendars ect. Day 3 will push that over 80 depending on packaging. Most of my photo card collections are complete ( ebay is my friend)

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yay happy you made the thread

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
I admit I really hated Irene, she looked really mean and had a resting bitch face so I thought she wasn't pleasant. It took me like 5 Heechul X Irene videos to see her differently :pikahappy: I like her now tho

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Seulgi.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread