COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

What Kind Of Music Did You Grow Up With? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
What Kind Of Music Did You Grow Up With?

What music were you listing to when you were young? High school, Middle school, whatever.

If you're still young. What was the first type of music you really got big into?

Do you still listen to it? Still like it? Ever miss it?

I was in high school all during the early to mid 2000s when pop emo, pop punk, and alternative rock was at its zenith and was everywhere.

I had bleached blonde stoner hair, sported Vans and was forever with a hackey sack in my pocket.

This was the time of Green Day, Good Charlotte, Nickelback, Panic At The Disco, Yellowcard, My Chemical Romance, The Killers and more. Hip hop was around and huge of course, but it hadn't achieved total domination of pop to the extent it has today. Especially in my Midwestern area of the States.

I bought the first Fall Out Boy album before they blew up. I still have vivid memory of first opening that album. I couldn't even wait to get out of my car. I sat there in the drive way and opened it up and put it in the CD player listen right there in my car. I felt like I'd found my own little secret no one else knew. It's my one "I was there before they were big" flex lol.

Thinking back it strikes you how different music is. How much it changes over time. The trends. The artists. The sounds.

Some of you might be too young yet, but often at the time when you're young you have no idea how much everything will change. Not just in terms of music but life.

Music sort of marks that transition. What was once big fades to make way for the new. The music moves and changes and nothing lasts forever.

If you would have said, Eman do you know that years from now you will be listening to music in Korean and know more about their celebs than your own country? I would have called you crazy.

Ha. Times change.

I still enjoy retuning to the music of my youth. Still love many of the sounds, the songs, the feeling. Some I go Ahhhh what was I thinking.... But then others ... You remember why it was so important to you. Why it moved you so. You can still feel the magic.

I won't list a breakdown of my high school era favs. But instead just a couple I was listening to tonight. That got me smiling and humming and thinking.

Tir

Crawled out of some hole
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Oh man, I was about to answer as soon as I saw your thread title but you already listed most of them. Those bands were huge back then and were the ones I vividly remembered growing up with. I still occasionally listen to my "Nostalgia Playlist" when I'm not in the mood for KPop and it still really strikes a chord in me, even to this day.

My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Offspring, Coldplay, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and that's just the start. Reading your post really made me want to start up that playlist again and relive those days.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship
I didn't get into music until I was like in my teens... But the music was: Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Tokyo Hotel... I still will listen to music... I don't really listen to Tokyo Hotel much or Hilary Duff for that matter... But most I still listen to on occasion.

I don't listen to that much pop these days, admittedly.
She said while an active member of an K-Pop forum 😅 🤣

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
Oh man, I was about to answer as soon as I saw your thread title but you already listed most of them. Those bands were huge back then and were the ones I vividly remembered growing up with. I still occasionally listen to my "Nostalgia Playlist" when I'm not in the mood for KPop and it still really strikes a chord in me, even to this day.

My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Offspring, Coldplay, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and that's just the start. Reading your post really made me want to start up that playlist again and relive those days.
Oh all greats! You'll have to dust off the Old Times playlist. It needs attention! Haha.

I bet this is on there somewhere.

Reactions Received
KS Coins

WHY MOMMMMM WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

NOT CUTE AT ALLLLLLLLLLLL

i use to like that NOW i'm all

me "
Rookie, rookie .My super rookie, rookie, rookie 맞지 맞지. 그 느낌적인 느낌 느낌"

geting lit"
아무 노래나 일단 틀어
아무거나 신나는 걸로
아무렇게나 춤춰
아무렇지 않아 보이게
아무 생각 하기 싫어
아무개로 살래 잠시
I'm sick and tired of my everyday
Keep it up 한 곡 더"

and some how i started to like Chinese music and Japanese

YOU SEE HOW I WAS RAISED AND HOW I AM IS 2 OTHER THINGS

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
I didn't get into music until I was like in my teens... But the music was: Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Tokyo Hotel... I still will listen to music... I don't really listen to Tokyo Hotel much or Hilary Duff for that matter... But most I still listen to on occasion.

She said while an active member of an K-Pop forum 😅 🤣
This was literally it man.

We we're all singing our hearts out.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I LOVE PAINO MUSIC oddly when i'm one how look to dance and go crazy

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
I heard this on the radio one day n had to buy her album (cassette, in my country-in the mid 80s-I was in my mid-teens then).

Before tat I listened to pop music on the radio, but nothing moved me as deeply. So I found indie-folk then later other alternative music like R.E.M. n in the 90s Tori Amos. But otherwise barren wasteland mostly, for my tastes-nothing else much stuck. In the 2000s, Rachael Yamagata n in early 2010s Vienna Teng. But din't listen as intently as before long it kinda paled.
Then in mid-2018 I tried watching kpop on YouTube cos my niece said she wanted to be a kpop star n learnt to dance kpop-I rekindled a small liking for SNSD (between 2009 n 201?2/3?) n hvnt looked bk since. I mostly (or only) listen to kpop n hv a few faves since then. Still not much of a multi stan or bg fan. Kpop moves me the same or more so than indie/alternative music did in my teens.

Yachii

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Hackers
I wouldn't be able to put a name to the genre of the music my favourite group did. I do know that by the time I got into college; I knew my favourite music genre ever, metal, and it's still my favourite. Metal music radically changed my tastes. Now I don't care what people may define as metal music. I just say that my current favourite genre now is hard rock/metal. That covers it for me.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
Earth Wind & Fire, Luther Vandross, Various Gospel Singers/Groups
Yes, occasionally I still listen to these artists.

Country Music, Jazz
I rarely listen to either country or jazz music.

Michael Jackson
J-Pop (Amuro Namie, Koda Kumi, Hamasaki Ayumi, Gackt, Perfume, Kalafina)
J-Rock (Dir En Grey, Malice Mizer, L'Arc~En~Ciel, GazettE, Alice Nine, AnCafe, Miyavi, MUCC)
- Hard for me to pinpoint the next two because I grew up when music videos on TV was still a thing (MTV, BET, VH1, The Box -- alladat. So I was really out there listening to everything lol)
[American] Rap and R&B (SO MANY ARTISTS, I CAN'T EVEN)
Evanescence, Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera
More than the previous two, I listen to a lot of these artists. I don't really listen to much American Rap and R&B anymore, especially not the newer stuff.
I miss J-Rock the most. I wanna get back into it, but I quail at the thought of trying to find out about all the new groups now since...a decade ago @_@;

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
In my opinion, Baby Metal is metal, there is no way to deny that when we look at the instrument and style
Every Metal style emerged from somewhere and if Baby Metal is not metal, can we consider the Doom Metal bands metal? Why does they have that makes them metal and not Baby Metal?

My current favorite song is Black is the Soul by Korn but, I can say that maybe in a month or so it may change again lol
Oh I realised now that my post almost looked like a diss or something.

I don't know anything about metal. You just said metal and seeing as how I'm knee deep in kpop the closest current metal band that came to mind was Baby Metal. All I knew of them was their name.

:maheart:

Ms. Drug has shown me the way. You are a teacher.

:sanapray::pikahappy:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
In the first place i have yet to grow up. I intend to never grow up :)

My mom had a bunch of 45's old old old like doris day old that we played to death in my room.
Musicals, Elvis movies
Elvis, buddy holly, beach boys all the 50's 60's rock pop country what ever ya wanna call it. I listened to oldies then 70's pop/rock /.
Skipped most of the drugged out late 60's early 70's music. then into 80's pop. mostly that is what i listened to thru college well at university is met more of the 'harder rock' zeppelin, Moody blues, blue oyster Cult.

Most time i have been heavily vocal orientated. if i had to guess my first album was Close to you or ticket to ride.

Basically my music collection has classical to kpop with heavy country, pop 50's - 2000's, classic rock, some jazz, blues show music soloist like say Sarah Brightman ect i think i have a Will Smith album but that would be the extent of my rap well i may have some m & m from the napster days like loose yourself.

Good Charlotte always cracked me up.... like your in a band and you have trouble with girls... get in line dude.

Last edited:
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I grew up with rock/grunge/alternative and of course dance numbers.

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
I grew up with rock/grunge/alternative and of course dance numbers.

Rock/grunge/alternative was like such a narrow band of time, like from the early nineties (when I n most of the world first heard/knew of it) to late nineties-I'm referring mostly to grunge/alternative heyday.

I only listened/bought (n really liked) Nirvana's In Utero n R.E.M. (I bought n liked Monster, but heard n liked Losing My Religion before.)
I dint really get into Pearl Jam, soundgarden, counting crows(if they're grunge/alternative) or others then or later. Except blind melon no rain.

Wat were some of ur faves?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread