COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Top 10 most watched MVs of 2019 in Korea according to Youtube Rewind (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
YouTube Rewind has published the top 10 most watched MVs of 2019 in South Korea.

1. BTS ft. Halsey- Boy with Luv
2. ITZY- Dalla Dalla
3. Twice- Fancy
4. Blackpink- Kill this Love
5. N.Flying- Rooftop
6. Naomi Scott- Speechless (Aladdin OST)
7. ITZY- Icy
8. Billie Eilish- Bad Guy
9. Bol4- Bom
10. Jvcki Wai, Young B, Osshun Gum, Han Yo Han- Dding

A few takeaways:

- No surprises with BTS lol.
- Itzy ranking higher than BP and Twice, and having 2 entries on this list shows they're really popular in Korea rn. Also shows how successful Dalla Dalla really was despite being so divisive.
- Considering KTL's overall views, it shows how massive BP's international popularity or atleast their I-fandom's streaming power is.
- Disney OSTs continue being popular in Korea. Into the Unknown is charting really well too and Let it Go was everywhere when the first Frozen film dropped.
- Rooftop getting the respect it deserves, Korean people really loved it.

Anyway, for comparison, last year's 10 most watched MVs were all Korean artists.

1. iKON- Love Scenario
2. Blackpink- Ddu-du-ddu-du
3. Momoland- Bboom Bboom
4. Twice- What is Love
5. BTS- Fake Love
6. Red Velvet- Bad Boy
7. Twice- Dance the Night Away
8. Bol4- Travel
9. BTS- Idol
10. Mamamoo- Starry Night.

Thoughts? Any surprises?

Tags: @Baechu @Tir @perhapz @AnotherKpopTrash @Walnutt @blueberries @dooh @Kiseki @RandAlThor @LadyLoverSunmi @mirella @Vikki @potato @raja
Source: Soompi

Last edited:

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
It's interesting that Icy is on here but not Feel Special. Twice's ifanbase is bigger than I thought

Comparing those 100M+ to Rooftop's 20M views, it makes me realize that some of Korea's biggest non-idol hits just don't have that many views. I wonder when, where and why ifans started prioritizing YT so much

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
It's interesting that Icy is on here but not Feel Special. Twice's ifanbase is bigger than I thought

Comparing those 100M+ to Rooftop's 20M views, it makes me realize that some of Korea's biggest non-idol hits just don't have that many views. I wonder when, where and why ifans started prioritizing YT so much
Yeah although Twice was seen to be not as Western friendly, their I-fanbase has actually grown at a pretty steady rate. Of course, this also includes the rest of Asia but I think US and Europe contribute pretty decently to their YT numbers as well. Also interesting that Itzy who have a more western vibe than Twice have 2 songs in the list of most watched MVs in Korea.

And yes, I'd say about 80% of Rooftop's 20M views have to be from Korea so that's about 16M views and that's in the 5th spot. Really puts into perspective how inflated YT numbers are due to constant streaming and how they might not mean as much in their home market. Fandoms basically started using it as bragging rights and suddenly we had streaming parties, race to get 24hr views and everything else for validation although Kpop is still its own bubble pretty much.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
ITZY is definitely biggest surprise. They are popular within i-fans too, but not that popular.

Blackpink gets most views from SEA region so i guess it isn't that big of surprise.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Ikr... their mama performances were good too.
Yes, even their MMA stage, and their golden outfits :sj_weary:

ITZY is definitely biggest surprise. They are popular within i-fans too, but not that popular.

Blackpink gets most views from SEA region so i guess it isn't that big of surprise.
Lol definitely, Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines give Blackpink MVs a lot of views.
Itzy is still popular, I mean less popular compared to the Big 3 I guess, but among rookie groups and even against other established groups, their popularity stacks up pretty well. They sold like 120K albums on Gaon too, which is pretty great. They seem to be the "it" group rn in Korea. Other than BTS lol.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Yes, even their MMA stage, and their golden outfits :sj_weary:

Lol definitely, Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines give Blackpink MVs a lot of views.
Itzy is still popular, I mean less popular compared to the Big 3 I guess, but among rookie groups and even against other established groups, their popularity stacks up pretty well. They sold like 120K albums on Gaon too, which is pretty great. They seem to be the "it" group rn in Korea. Other than BTS lol.
Itzy is definitely monster rookie, but i don't think they are that high up within i-fans? There is many older groups that i still hear being talked lot more :dubuthink: Had no idea they had gone past Twice, Blackpink and RV in Korea, at least in trendiness.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Itzy is definitely monster rookie, but i don't think they are that high up within i-fans? There is many older groups that i still hear being talked lot more :dubuthink: Had no idea they had gone past Twice, Blackpink and RV in Korea, at least in trendiness.
I mean trending doesn't necessarily mean more popular lol, they're "in" rn and Dalla Dalla was a huge hit so.
With I-fans I think they could be said to be on par with like IDLE and maybe slightly behind Mamamoo? With one or two comebacks they'll surely move past IDLE.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Apart from Kill This Love and Icy the other songs are hits so they aren't surprising but Kill This and Icy had hype from Ddu-du Ddu-du and Dalla Dalla going into them which probably made their positions.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
damn itzy being twice in the list is a surprise

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Apart from Kill This Love and Icy the other songs are hits so they aren't surprising but Kill This and Icy had hype from Ddu-du Ddu-du and Dalla Dalla going into them which probably made their positions.
Icy still did okay I think, but nowhere as close as Dalla Dalla. It will be interesting to see how idol songs fare on the charts after not doing well for the most part this year. Although Mamamoo's Hip has been doing great.

damn itzy being twice in the list is a surprise
I just looked at the 2018 list and miss iKON now :umjicry:

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Icy still did okay I think, but nowhere as close as Dalla Dalla. It will be interesting to see how idol songs fare on the charts after not doing well for the most part this year. Although Mamamoo's Hip has been doing great.

I just looked at the 2018 list and miss iKON now :umjicry:
Depends how you judge it, I'd give Icy a meh for being Dalla Dallas follow up since they should've been able to grow off it but they just did okay.

As for the charts well we could be entering another physical dominated era since digitals have just been so pathetic for idols this year as you could count the hit comebacks on your fingers.

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wow, looking at the 2018 list, we really didn't have as many big hits this year in comparison.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread