COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (1 Viewer)

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv

Middle school student Mirai Onozawa is dissatisfied with her family circumstances and, in a moment of frustration, wishes to tear everything apart. Unfortunately, these destructive thoughts seem to come true in the form of a magnitude 8.0 earthquake just a few moments later.

When summer vacation begins, Mirai reluctantly takes her younger brother Yuuki to Odaiba, where a robot exhibition that he wanted to go to is being held. However, while they are in the exhibition center, the fury of a major earthquake shakes the Kanto region; helpless, both kids witness the devastating power of this natural disaster as it brings the city to its knees.

In its aftermath, they stumble upon Mari Kusakabe, a motorcyclist and single mother who decides to help the young siblings. Aiming to return to their homes and reunite with their families, the group sets off on a long and hard journey through the decimated city.

MAL - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

---

Currently re watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which first aired 10 years ago and I wanted to share this Anime with those who might not be too familiar with this show. Because at 11 episodes, the series isn't long. Nor is it as well known as shows such as One Piece etc.
However TM 8.0 is undoubtedly the most special and memorable anime series that I have ever watched. How best to describe a series that only lasts for 11 episodes? You would think that at that number of episodes the story wouldn't be memorable, nor would you be able to connect with the characters. But from the very first episode to the very final episode you are dragged into a world that will send you through a roller coaster of emotions as you follow the 3 main characters from their own POV through the death and destruction that has devastated the streets of Tokyo.
And that's what makes this show so special. This isn't about fighting robots, creating a harem of alien girls or having incredible super powers that are incredibly ridiculous. This is a hard hitting plot with realistic characters who are faced with the challenges that come from a natural disaster that could quite well possibly hit Tokyo in the near future.
The creators of TM 8.0 did a lot of research into the simulations that have been created and studied over the years in the event of a powerful earthquake of M8 or more directly hitting the Tokyo Bay Area and the after affect that a powerful earthquake could have on modern day Tokyo.

Of course if these kind of shows aren't your thing, then you might not enjoy it. However this is a show that I highly recommend watching at least once. Because the shock factor of this show will remain with you. And who knows. Possibly even help you if you found yourself in Tokyo or another city as a powerful earthquake hits.

And in my closing thoughts on this show. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the only anime show that I don't allow my daughters to watch at their present age. Not only because of the realism of the series and how I fear that it will impact on them (as we live in Tokyo). But also because of events that the children face throughout the series which I feel would be too emotional for my daughters to handle..

---

If you have watched this show though. What did you think of it? And if you haven't seen TM 8.0 yet. Would you?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I've watched this anime before, it was a random watch but I enjoyed it. The ending was a slap to the face -oh holy hell-no- moment but very well done.

Edit: Reviews should come with a Kleenex alert. It's not a spoiler I don't think, but a warning.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
lol i was opening a new portal in another tab as i clicked this.....

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Omg this show! I watched TM 8.0 so long ago! Like you said, it was definitely a special show. I still remember it well. It's one of those anime that stays with you for a long time. I definitely recommend it for everyone to watch ^^

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread