COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

These South Korean women went abroad to get married. Then one spoke out at home, and the backlash began. (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Honestly, this is heartbreaking. She may have lost almost everything! The only thing she didn't lose is her love for her spouse!
There is still such a long way to go!
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...90df14-61f6-11ea-912d-d98032ec8e25_story.html

These South Korean women went abroad to get married. Then one spoke out at home, and the backlash began.

Kim Kyu-jin, 28, married her partner in New York last year and then had a “factory wedding” in Seoul in November. Same-sex marriage is not recognized in South Korea.

SEOUL — Kim Kyu-jin doesn't describe herself as an activist. That's a label that tends to scare people in South Korea's conformist society. She sees herself as just a working woman who wanted to get married to the person she loves.
Same-sex marriage is not recognized in South Korea, so Kim and her fiancee flew to New York last year to tie the knot in a Manhattan marriage bureau.
Then they returned home and celebrated just like any ordinary South Korean couple — with what is known as a “factory wedding,” a cookie-cutter ceremony. Kim and her spouse, who requested anonymity to avoid possible problems with her employer, wore flowing white dresses.

“By doing a factory wedding, I thought that I might give a message: that we’re just people, we’re just Koreans, we just want to get married like everyone else,” she said. “So it was a political choice.”

Advocates for same-sex marriage in South Korea, and many of its East Asian neighbors, remain mostly on the sidelines of national debate. South Korea’s vibrant online culture, however, offers a forum to challenge views on a range of gender-related issues, from same-sex relationships to the pay gap for women to the definitions of beauty promoted by the country’s huge cosmetic-surgery industry.

Kim, 28, started giving interviews, including during prime time on national broadcaster KBS and another on the main news page of KakaoTalk, South Korea’s leading messaging app.

“I thought that this would influence society and the government,” she said. “So I did it for my own good.”
Then came the backlash.
The article received about 10,000 comments, 80 percent of which were negative, she said. Some people told the couple to “Get out of Korea.” Others worried that society and families would fall apart on a tide of lesbian weddings. Some replies were intensely malicious, threatening and sexual.

After consulting a lawyer, and pushing the police to talk to portal sites, she is suing the 100 most malicious commentators.
“My mom has always been quite negative of my sexuality, but my dad has supported me,” she said. “But when it came to going public, not so much.”

Kim’s parents come from the socially conservative region of Busan in southeastern South Korea. Her grandparents are very conservative, she said, and her father was worried.
“He claimed that he was worried that I might get too much attention, and there might be malicious comments like, from, I don’t know, churches,” she said. “But I think deep down he was quite scared that people around him would find out that I am lesbian.”
Her father felt his daughter wasn’t listening to him. They argued, he didn’t come to her wedding in Seoul, and now they aren’t talking to each other.

Kim with her spouse, who requested anonymity to avoid possible problems with her employer.

Kim and her spouse are not the first couple to test South Korea’s legal and societal boundaries on same-sex marriage.

In 2013, filmmaker Kim Jho Gwang-soo celebrated a symbolic marriage ceremony with his longtime male partner. The pair exchanged vows in public on a bridge and afterward fought an unsuccessful legal battle to register their union.

The church and conservatives oppose same-sex unions, often vehemently. Right-wing lawmakers introduced legislation last year that would remove any reference to “sexual orientation” as a possible source of discrimination under the mandate of the National Human Rights Commission of Korea.
Even liberal President Moon Jae-in, a former human rights lawyer, said on the campaign trail in 2017 that he disliked homosexuality and had “no intention” of legalizing it.

As president, Moon has said he opposes discrimination, but he has also said that society “has yet to reach a consensus” on legalizing same-sex unions and that the issue needs more discussion.

Human Rights Watch reported in November that LGBT youth in South Korea experienced indifference or outright hostility that left them feeling isolated and jeopardized their mental health.
Kim said she feels attitudes are gradually changing. South Korea’s largest alcoholic drinks company, Oriental Brewery, posted its support for the Seoul Queer Culture Festival on social media in May with a rainbow-colored can, a first for a major South Korean company.
Kim said she was worried that she and her spouse would be turned away from wedding halls in Seoul. Then her wedding planner called and asked.

“The owner replied, ‘It’s the same money, what’s the big deal?’ ” Kim said. Nor were their hairdressers or other suppliers bothered, she said.
“I’ve learned that [South] Korea is very capitalist — everything is consumer first,” she said. “I think the private sector is beginning to look at gay people as customers.”

Kim’s employer, a European consumer goods company, treats the pair as a married couple. She dreams of one day being its first non-European, first female and first openly gay chief executive — a “totem of diversity,” she said.
But the couple still face many obstacles in their daily lives.
Their incomes are treated as separate for the purpose of securing a mortgage, they cannot sign medical consent forms as next-of-kin, and for inheritances, Korean law gives close family members automatic precedence, leaving anything that benefits an unmarried partner vulnerable to legal challenge.

After the ceremony in Manhattan, the couple honeymooned in the Seychelles, but their return to South Korea was a slap back to reality.
“When you come to Korea, you need to write a customs entry card, and you need to check how many family members you are with,” she said. “I said zero.”

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Definitely true but unfortunately they got so much backlash when they went back to Korea :umjicry: They received about 10,000 comments and 80% were negative and people telling them to 'get out of Korea' and other malicious comments like threatening them and sexualizing them, it's disgusting how they are treated.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Buddy
Pronouns
She/her 💗💛💙
Ship
Wreck
Definitely true but unfortunately they got so much backlash when they went back to Korea :umjicry: They received about 10,000 comments and 80% were negative and people telling them to 'get out of Korea' and other malicious comments like threatening them and sexualizing them, it's disgusting how they are treated.
that's unfortunate :jisoosmh:

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
At least you can see from Moon that some are changing their tones since he went from never to it needing more discussion. Until it's normalised though the public is going to push against it.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
At least you can see from Moon that some are changing their tones since he went from never to it needing more discussion. Until it's normalised though the public is going to push against it.
You are correct! The main thing is to see the problem to fix it and at least they are acknowledging it.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I hope stuff like this get‘s normalised in korea. love is love after all

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I hope stuff like this get‘s normalised in korea. love is love after all
It's so crazy that people aren't allowed to love whoever they fall in love with. I'm wondering when a time before all this nonsense started, like did it start when the 3 big religions started or did it start before that? I know for a fact that it has not always been this way in history.

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
It's sweet, and I hope things work out for them. Korea has always been weird about this, and I hope they'll start to open up more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread