COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Rumor There is a rumor going on that BLACKPINK will get a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins

I truly hope that doesn't happen, if it does Grammy will lose all of its credibility in my eyes.

They officially submitted entry to the Grammy Awards in September. Personally, Billie Eilish should get it.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I don't see why they shouldn't at least get nominated

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I'm just confused how they are getting nominated for new artist as for their kpop debut they are 3 years too late and they haven't exactly released something to fit an official US debut but I don't personally have any investment in the grammys though so meh.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I'm just confused how they are getting nominated for new artist as for their kpop debut they are 3 years too late and they haven't exactly released something to fit an official US debut but I don't personally have any investment in the grammys though so meh.
These are the qualifications
Must have released a minimum of five singles/tracks or one album, but no more than 30 singles/tracks or three albums.
  • May not have entered into this category more than three times, including as a performing member of an established group.
  • Must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the eligibility period.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I guess YG not giving them musical releases the past 3 years came in handy. Looks like they may actually be able to get a nomination at least. I'm not sure how much of a breakthrough they have into the US's "public consciousness" but they have a pretty huge fandom so they seem eligible.

That said though, I agree with Marko. I can't think of a single artist that would deserve to win this award more than Billie Eilish.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Those are strangely specific qualifications :dubuthink:
Lady Gaga got shafted one year because she had been nominated a few years before so they decided to change it. Before that, I think it was limited by time

I guess YG not giving them musical releases the past 3 years came in handy. Looks like they may actually be able to get a nomination at least. I'm not sure how much of a breakthrough they have into the US's "public consciousness" but they have a pretty huge fandom so they seem eligible.

That said though, I agree with Marko. I can't think of a single artist that would deserve to win this award more than Billie Eilish.
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. BTS was submitted but wasn't nominated for anything but album art last year year. Whether or not they get a Grammy is one thing but I really hope that they at least get nominated, it's a big win for kpop in the West. I don't see why we're rooting against it

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ayeeeeeeeeee i hope they do

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Squoosh ♡
Pronouns
they / them
Ship
Wreck
They officially submitted entry to the Grammy Awards in September. Personally, Billie Eilish should get it.
To be honest, Billie Eilish's award is long overdue. I love her style. :sanapray:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
A nomination alone would be pretty cool

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
  • Must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the eligibility period.
Lady Gaga got shafted one year because she had been nominated a few years before so they decided to change it. Before that, I think it was limited by time
Oof, so according to these BP will be eligible for Best New Artist for the next 10 years.
I think the second criteria of "breakthrough... into public consciousness" would rule it out. The wording is ambiguous-is it both or either must be fulfilled to qualify? I don't c how the criteria would benefit Lady Gaga unless it's both.(it shd if if nominated once before, then...) otherwise it makes no sense to me.

Tbh I thot the Grammies were irrelevant from the year Arcade Fire won Album of the Year in 2011 as I thot Katy Perry, Lady Gaga or Eminem were at least known quantities to me but maybe they cancelled each other out or were too out there for the staid voters. It's just like a popularity vote or the musical act that the 40/50yrs/older voters hv heard of or just think are worthy of, so idk if Billie Eilish or BlackPink will get it since I hvnt paid attention to the Grammies since 2011.

I'd love if BP get nominated for Best New Artist, contradictory as that sounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread