COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News The world is raging at J.K. Rowling, because of a tweet (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That's not common here. At least I haven't even heard of that before. Thank god it isn't. But I'm rly glad that I only use social medias with usernames, not my actual name and face. I initially did it for privacy and security reasons, but with cancel culture and people digging old tweets (apparently Camila Cabello is now cancelled over tumblr reblogs she did while she was 15), I don't rly want my name associated with anything I do online.

I don't think u can put ur employee into bad light unless you do sth during ur job that hurts them. No matter what you say, one burger flipper in McDonalds or what not, does not reflect McDonalds as company. Unless you commit crime that would interfere with ur job like police committing serious crime during their free time.

--

I just rly hate cancel culture if someone can tell :jisoosmh:
It's becoming commonplace lol, even if the company doesn't explicitly state it sometimes, it's implied. But yeah as long as you don't use your real name/face, it's fine. But on places like FB or Twitter, if you're using your actual personal account, you usually also mention your workplace in your About Me section. And if the organization feels that your public posts make you a liability or show them in a bad light, they won't hesitate to drop you. Mostly religious, overly political or sexist/LGBT remarks, if they become highly controversial, you're at risk.

I can kinda understand their perspective too. Imagine you're a manager or CEO and your employee's personal actions also drag down your company image by association. Where do you draw the line? How to decide what stuff crosses the line and is inappropriate, it's really tricky situation. Anything negative can even impact your business/share price. Granted, this only happens when stuff blows up like in this case but yeah. Reminds me of when Marvel fired James Gunn, although I didn't agree with their actions but I understood why they did what they did.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
It's becoming commonplace lol, even if the company doesn't explicitly state it sometimes, it's implied. But yeah as long as you don't use your real name/face, it's fine. But on places like FB or Twitter, if you're using your actual personal account, you usually also mention your workplace in your About Me section. And if the organization feels that your public posts make you a liability or show them in a bad light, they won't hesitate to drop you. Mostly religious, overly political or sexist/LGBT remarks, if they become highly controversial, you're at risk.

I can kinda understand their perspective too. Imagine you're a manager or CEO and your employee's personal actions also drag down your company image by association. Where do you draw the line? How to decide what stuff crosses the line and is inappropriate, it's really tricky situation. Anything negative can even impact your business/share price. Granted, this only happens when stuff blows up like in this case but yeah. Reminds me of when Marvel fired James Gunn, although I didn't agree with their actions but I understood why they did what they did.
That sucks though :susPepe:

I actually haven't heard of cases of anyone Finland losing their job over tweet. However, politicians have been underfire as well police's on what they have tweeted, not by cancel culture as much, but by law since hate crime laws are quite harsh at times here. There is police investigation right now over this one politician tweeting quote from bible that is homophobic. :jisoosmh:

Well i understand that they don't want business getting dragged down. However my point is that it shouldn't. Especially if the person who said sth bad isn't in high position within it, their opinion doesn't say anything about the company. "These views don't portray our company's values and views" , like ofc they don't, why would they :jisoosmh:

(there is actually theory of how work has been starting to burrow further into people and their persona, that doing your job isn't enough while in job you have to portray certain emotions and absord certain values of the work place. This makes work more tiring as well as more invasive. I think this cancel culture over peoples work is just another sign of job becoming more invasive, u are now required to portray these emotions and values outside of your workplace as well. You cannot anymore seperate them as different roles like earlier. .. I minored in theory of work, so just some random thoughts on it xd).

Actually Marvel rehired James Gunn. Guardians of Galaxy actors got mad, some even refused to take part in the newest film if he wasn't returned. I guess Marvel and Disney thought things died down enough.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That sucks though :susPepe:

I actually haven't heard of cases of anyone Finland losing their job over tweet. However, politicians have been underfire as well police's on what they have tweeted, not by cancel culture as much, but by law since hate crime laws are quite harsh at times here. There is police investigation right now over this one politician tweeting quote from bible that is homophobic. :jisoosmh:

Well i understand that they don't want business getting dragged down. However my point is that it shouldn't. Especially if the person who said sth bad isn't in high position within it, their opinion doesn't say anything about the company. "These views don't portray our company's values and views" , like ofc they don't, why would they :jisoosmh:

(there is actually theory of how work has been starting to burrow further into people and their persona, that doing your job isn't enough while in job you have to portray certain emotions and absord certain values of the work place. This makes work more tiring as well as more invasive. I think this cancel culture over peoples work is just another sign of job becoming more invasive, u are now required to portray these emotions and values outside of your workplace as well. You cannot anymore seperate them as different roles like earlier. .. I minored in theory of work, so just some random thoughts on it xd).

Actually Marvel rehired James Gunn. Guardians of Galaxy actors got mad, some even refused to take part in the newest film if he wasn't returned. I guess Marvel and Disney thought things died down enough.
Oh everything absolutely is getting more invasive you're right lol. That's just the world we live in, unfortunately I don't think there's any way to revert to how things were due to increasing internet usage and social media and just everything being so much more visible now :yolk:
And true, but if the company says these views aren't ours but continues to pay that person for his work, it can be portrayed as them still supporting him. I personally disagree but it just gets messy and most organizations just prefer a clean break rather than trying to sort this out. It also works as a kinda pre-emptive action I think, where they see the possibility that the employee may do similar things in the future, so they try not to be associated in any way :yolk:

I'm actually happy MCU rehired him due to all the fuss lol. From what I read, Gunn was making some jokes, bad jokes yes, but the intent wasn't malicious. Of the Camila Cabello thing though, I know she was young but I read some of the stuff and yikes. Apparently she even said things about her former group member Normani, now some of her stans are saying some stuff is fake so Idk lol.

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
I like her books, but as a person she sucks tbh.
Never agreed with the face behind harry potter.

It doesn't make sense, someone that artificial as a personality, can write something endearing like HP.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I mean... she's technically not wrong. Even if your gender isn't the one assigned to you at birth, you can only do things to get yourself as close to a different sex as possible. But you will never be able to experience certain unique traits of that sex. Like an MtF can't get periods or be pregnant. I suppose one could argue that no one in their right mind would want periods, but it's still a trait of the female sex. And that's something you can't get, even with all the surgery in the world.
Finally someone gets it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread