COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

~The Official Yuri 百合 Thread~ (3 Viewers)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Source: Yuri (genre) - Wikipedia
Yuri (百合, "lily"), also known by the wasei-eigo construction Girls' Love (ガールズラブ gāruzu rabu), is a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving lesbian relationships in light novels, manga, anime, video games and related Japanese media. Yurifocuses on the sexual orientation or the romantic orientation aspects of the relationship, or both, the latter of which is sometimes called shōjo-ai by Western fandom.
The themes yuri deals with have their roots in the Japanese lesbian fiction of the early twentieth century, with pieces such as Yaneura no Nishojo by Nobuko Yoshiya. Nevertheless, it is not until the 1970s that lesbian-themed works began to appear in manga, by the hand of artists such as Ryoko Yamagishi and Riyoko Ikeda. The 1990s brought new trends in manga and anime, as well as in dōjinshiproductions, along with more acceptance for this kind of content.[10] In 2003, the first manga magazine specifically dedicated to yuri, Yuri Shimai, was launched, and this was followed by its revival Comic Yuri Hime, which was launched after the former was discontinued in 2004.
As a genre, yuri content could target either a male or a female audience. Although yuri originated in female-targeted (shōjo, josei) works, today it is featured in male-targeted (shōnen, seinen) ones as well. Yuri manga from male-targeted magazines include titles such as Kannazuki no Miko and Strawberry Panic!, as well as those from Comic Yuri Hime's male-targeted sister magazine, Comic Yuri Hime S, which was launched in 2007.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
At first I thought that this would've been a artist thread for SNSD's Yuri :llama_squish:

But I can hold discussions involving this as well :llama_ramen:

My top 2 Yuri themed shows are

Strawberry Panic

Candy Boy

My youngest daughter is also named Yuri and her English name is Lily Rose

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
At first I thought that this would've been a artist thread for SNSD's Yuri :llama_squish:

Strawberry Panic

Candy Boy

Well SNSD's Yuri isn't Japanese is she? 😂

I liked Strawberry Panic but I didn't like the pairings who ended up together as I always wanted Nagisa x Tamao and Hikari x Yaya lol

And I watched Candy Boy once, it was very cute but they were sisters right? haha some incest going on there! 🤣:pandahappy:

Also have you seen Sakura Trick? I only saw a few episodes of it but there were plenty of kisses lol

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY

Strawberry Panic

Candy Boy

Btw I've only just seen this! That is a beautiful name!
You also know what else is interesting? JiU from Dreamcatcher's English name is also Lily! :pandahappy: Maybe I can put this type of question in a DC quiz lol

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Well SNSD's Yuri isn't Japanese is she? 😂

I liked Strawberry Panic but I didn't like the pairings who ended up together as I always wanted Nagisa x Tamao and Hikari x Yaya lol

And I watched Candy Boy once, it was very cute but they were sisters right? haha some incest going on there! 🤣:pandahappy:

Also have you seen Sakura Trick? I only saw a few episodes of it but there were plenty of kisses lol
I just saw "The Official Yuri Thread" in the new threads sidebar and clicked...

Yukino and Kanade were twin sisters... So twincest is wincest :llama_ramen:

I did watch Sakura Trick a few years ago. I think that I have one of the volumes of the manga somewhere as well.. Because I was in Japan whilst the anime was airing.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I just saw "The Official Yuri Thread" in the new threads sidebar and clicked...

Yukino and Kanade were twin sisters... So twincest is wincest :llama_ramen:

I did watch Sakura Trick a few years ago. I think that I have one of the volumes of the manga somewhere as well.. Because I was in Japan whilst the anime was airing.
I think I will watching it again sometime but it was very short if I remember? Like 15 minute episodes and only 7 episodes?

Also did you watch Citrus? I think the Manga carries on and they got married in the end :pandahappy::pandalove::queen:

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
I think I will watching it again sometime but it was very short if I remember? Like 15 minute episodes and only 7 episodes?

Also did you watch Citrus? I think the Manga carries on and they got married in the end :pandahappy::pandalove::queen:
The prologue episode was around 8 minutes. Whilst the 7 episodes and 2 extra episodes with the DVD releases were each around 12 - 20 minutes long.

I did watch Citrus.. That's the one between the two step sisters if I remember right.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
The prologue episode was around 8 minutes. Whilst the 7 episodes and 2 extra episodes with the DVD releases were each around 12 - 20 minutes long.

I did watch Citrus.. That's the one between the two step sisters if I remember right.
I see, that is still so short lol

Yeah it is! Seems like this topic is revolved around sisterly love lmao I didn't read all of the Manga but I read the last few chapters to know what happened.
The Anime was much shorter compared to the Manga.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
I see, that is still so short lol

Yeah it is! Seems like this topic is revolved around sisterly love lmao I didn't read all of the Manga but I read the last few chapters to know what happened.
The Anime was much shorter compared to the Manga.
Almost enough content for a 1 cour series....

I think that the majority of Yuri revolves around sisterly love lol

Kiddy Grade which is one of my favourite shows of all time also has a small amount of Yuri. But it didn't play a major role in the plot.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Almost enough content for a 1 cour series....

I think that the majority of Yuri revolves around sisterly love lol

Kiddy Grade which is one of my favourite shows of all time also has a small amount of Yuri. But it didn't play a major role in the plot.

Oh I remember watching Kiddy Grade! Wasn't the second season much more Yuri?
Like Steel Angel Kurumi had a bit of Yuri in it but the second season went all out lol

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Oh I remember watching Kiddy Grade! Wasn't the second season much more Yuri?
Like Steel Angel Kurumi had a bit of Yuri in it but the second season went all out lol
Kiddy Grade was one of my earliest anime shows that wasn't Pokemon, Digimon etc! lol

Ah yes. Kiddy Girl-and! I remember watching that as well. I agree that there was more yuri content. But still not much more than other shows...

Other Yuri shows that I've watched and liked over the years as well are Kannazuki no Miko and El Cazador de la Bruja.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Kiddy Grade was one of my earliest anime shows that wasn't Pokemon, Digimon etc! lol

Ah yes. Kiddy Girl-and! I remember watching that as well. I agree that there was more yuri content. But still not much more than other shows...

Other Yuri shows that I've watched and liked over the years as well are Kannazuki no Miko and El Cazador de la Bruja.

Yes lol It was pretty early!

Oh I still got Kannazuki no Miko and El Cazador De La Bruja on DVD and in fact, the second volume of El Cazador De La Bruja still has the seal on it lol
But I also used to watch AMV's and this was a great one:

I also loved the Blue Drop AMV as well and loved Blue Drop Anime:

Such nostalgia with these Anime's and AMV's.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Yes lol It was pretty early!

Oh I still got Kannazuki no Miko and El Cazador De La Bruja on DVD and in fact, the second volume of El Cazador De La Bruja still has the seal on it lol
But I also used to watch AMV's and this was a great one:

I also loved the Blue Drop AMV as well and loved Blue Drop Anime:

Such nostalgia with these Anime's and AMV's.
I believe that Lumiere from Kiddy Grade was Aya Hirano's first ever voice role as well.. And she's gone on to voice some iconic characters over the years. (Misa, Death Note. Haruhi, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucy, Fairy Tail)

God I remember watching so many of those AMVs all those years ago... How many of them used Cascada's Everytime We Touch! lmao

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I believe that Lumiere from Kiddy Grade was Aya Hirano's first ever voice role as well.. And she's gone on to voice some iconic characters over the years. (Misa, Death Note. Haruhi, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucy, Fairy Tail)

God I remember watching so many of those AMVs all those years ago... How many of them used Cascada's Everytime We Touch! lmao
Wow! Really? That is pretty amazing :D

lol yeah that is true! Like this:

Also I dunno if you watched Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha I think it was:

Then we have other anime's like Strike Witches and Simoun...ahh the memories!

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Wow! Really? That is pretty amazing :D

lol yeah that is true! Like this:

Also I dunno if you watched Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha I think it was:

Then we have other anime's like Strike Witches and Simoun...ahh the memories!
Yep! Aya Hirano has voiced a lot of characters for a very long time now. She's also had a very good singing career.

The nostalgia of being a anime fan back in 2008 :maheart:

I loved the Nanoha series! I've got a few figures and art books from the show ^^

I also took this picture whilst in Japan and the Vivid spin off series was airing.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Yep! Aya Hirano has voiced a lot of characters for a very long time now. She's also had a very good singing career.

The nostalgia of being a anime fan back in 2008 :maheart:

I loved the Nanoha series! I've got a few figures and art books from the show ^^

I also took this picture whilst in Japan and the Vivid spin off series was airing.
Wow! That's really cool 🥰

Yes and do you remember how controversial Shoujo Sect was? lmao It was literally erotic. But the thing that really annoyed me was I believe this was Yuri's first Anime-like erotic Yuri, whereas Yaoi got so many, yet no one complained about it and was pretty popular. That to me is double standards at it's finest.
I wasn't a massive fan of Shoujo Sect, but I did love the art and other things about it.
My point is though, Yaoi is a very sexual Genre and much more sexual than Yuri (Even though many people thought that Yuri was only about girls having sex with each other which is completely untrue), but Yaoi got praised so much and probably still does, yet if Yuri is anything sexual, it's frowned upon and people don't want to watch it even if there is a good story behind it.

That's a cool picture :D I loved NanoFate because they were amazing and basically also adopted a kid together in the 3rd series which was Vivio. Amazing times.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Wow! That's really cool 🥰

Yes and do you remember how controversial Shoujo Sect was? lmao It was literally erotic. But the thing that really annoyed me was I believe this was Yuri's first Anime-like erotic Yuri, whereas Yaoi got so many, yet no one complained about it and was pretty popular. That to me is double standards at it's finest.
I wasn't a massive fan of Shoujo Sect, but I did love the art and other things about it.
My point is though, Yaoi is a very sexual Genre and much more sexual than Yuri (Even though many people thought that Yuri was only about girls having sex with each other which is completely untrue), but Yaoi got praised so much and probably still does, yet if Yuri is anything sexual, it's frowned upon and people don't want to watch it even if there is a good story behind it.

That's a cool picture :D I loved NanoFate because they were amazing and basically also adopted a kid together in the 3rd series which was Vivio. Amazing times.
I've always felt that Yaoi has always been more accepted than Yuri despite being more sexualised... And I can't be blamed for thinking that when I've been to Akihabara, Nakano Broadway etc and there are shops with huge sections dedicated to Yaoi. Whilst looking for Yuri content is like trying to search for Where's Wally....

:maheart:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I've always felt that Yaoi has always been more accepted than Yuri despite being more sexualised... And I can't be blamed for thinking that when I've been to Akihabara, Nakano Broadway etc and there are shops with huge sections dedicated to Yaoi. Whilst looking for Yuri content is like trying to search for Where's Wally....

:maheart:
Yes it has and I've always been baffled by it! I actually read some Yaoi Manga as all the fan girls told me I should read it and said they do have a lot of stories and character development in them and not all about sex, but let me just say that only 10% of what I read was about the actual plot and character development and not just about sex.
Yuri mainly tends to focus more on what Yaoi lacks, although there are some Yuri which has a lack of charcter development and story plot to it as well.
Sex is totally fine, but I always love for it to be built up before they are making love. I can't stand something that goes straight into it without any meaning to it.
It's like 'Why did they get to this point?' 'How did they get to this point?' 'Why are they so in love with each other that they want to experience this type of love with each other?' and Yuri provides so much more of that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread