COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sword Art Online REVIEW (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Baechu

레드벨벳
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Please don't take this too serious

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Synopsis Season 1

Virtual reality made huge steps and the mmorpg Sword Art Online (SAO) launches in the year 2022, limiting it's players to 10000 people. Kirigaya Kazuto aka Kirito aka the dark emo boi is a teenager, who enjoys staying at home to play games. He's lucky enough to be one of the first ones to get their hands on the game and joins Aincrad, the world of SAO. However, shit starts to go down and players realize that they can't log out, which is a intended feature of SAO. In order to escape the world, they have to complete all 100 levels of the game. You die in the game = you ded in real life.

Review

Well, first I'd like to say SAO was the first anime that I've ever watched so I'm hugely biased. It will always have a special place in my heart :maheart:
I think everyone had this moment, where we thought that SAO's concept is genuinely good or at least interesting. Did the writers made a good anime out of the concept? Hell naw

:lisalaugh:

The first 3 episodes are pretty solid and they do follow the concept of a dark isekai, where it's about survival or death.
But nope, this is the start of Kirito's harem: Asuna aka the female protagonist (of the first half of the anime (WHY ONLY FIRST HALF)) aka the only relevant character for me aka the hot gamer girl that every gamer boi dreams of, is introduced. Love is in the air and they start to date, making half of the arc more to an romance anime...

:wimwim:

...Which I ENJOY. It's sweet, cute and wholesome and everyone who denies it has no heart :maheart: ...but sadly Kirito cares more about his harem instead of his girlfriend, so we get more and more unnecessary screentime of more or less irrelevant characters, cause they only show up in one or two episodes anyways...
I don't wanna go into detail about Kiritos OPness, so yeah I don't mind about that part. What I do mind about is what's happening in the second arc...

:jisoosmh::jisoosmh::jisoosmh::jisoosmh::jisoosmh::jisoosmh:

First of all, what the fuck.
Asuna isn't the female protagonist anymore.. it's Kirito's COUSIN who confesses her LOVE to him after falling in love for him in real life and in game, +1 to Kirito's Harem :yolk:
This is the most boring and worst arc and I don't even wanna think about it. The elf thing was so unnecessary and that cousin relationship got too weird for me.

In conclusion I can say that yes, the anime is trash, BUT
it is very entertaining trash and I absolutely love it for that (maybe not the second arc cuz that was straight up boring at some points)
I do demand for more Asuna screentime though and less adding new girls to Kirito's harem... but we know how it will end up in season 2 anyways .

:yolk:

10/10 from a trash anime point of view
6/10 from an anime point of view

This will be the start of my anime review threads :pikadab:

I'll post the season 2 review soon, just wait :mess:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Oh God no :pepecry1:
But better than expected :lisalaugh:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I'll unleash everything I got when we get to my Violet Evergarden review :lisalaugh: :sanapray:
Lemme know when to hide :lisalaugh:
What about Kakegurui, Demon Slayer and Kaguya sama reviews :sanapray:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I haven't actually seen SAO's first season and I don't plan to, but sounds 100% accurate :sakUwu:

I'm glad I passed the first two and started from third season. It's not without it's flaws and questionable tropes, but I have feeling it's still big improvement :jisoosmh:

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Ship
Idk whether or not I should feel proud for being the first tag :irenecrazy:

NOW LEMME TELL YOU WHAT I HATED ABOUT ALFHEIM ARC EVEN MORE THAN THE WEIRD INCEST PLOT

So the villain guy is creepy as hell obviously, but i'm still pretty certain that he didn't have to strip her for us to work that out. And also the research tentacle guys... they could have been anything other than tentacle monsters wrapping their phallic appendages up Asuna's leg...

Now of course sexual assault isn't exactly a surprise to see in anime but the main issue with it is that the creators of SAO are clearly trying to sell the series as a serious adventure story where people actually die n stuff!! The show comes off as a kid's show most of the time because of how bad it fails to be serious with all of the harem shit for example, and then they sprinkle in some sexual assault that adds nothing to the story what so ever just to top it off. They portrayed Asuna as a weak damsel in distress which didn't sit well with fans anyway but the only thing they had to do to show that was show the power dynamic between her and the villain/s i.e. restrain her, that's it, just restrain her, that's all you had to do, what's with this tentacle shit, anyways... Another annoying thing is that not only did they throw in sexual assault that really wasn't needed, they also panned the camera like trailing up and down her body, trying to portray her in a sexual light to us, the viewer, and essentially not taking the subject of sexual assault seriously at all even though the series wants SO MUCH to be respected as a serious series with serious plot points. We didn't dumb the series down to something more akin to a terrifying frankenstein of a kid's show with how stupid the plot points were mixed with a bad hentai with all the sexual assault that was not treated with the weight it deserves.

And the worst part is that I have more to say in this topic in later seasons :wimwim:

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Ship
I haven't actually seen SAO's first season and I don't plan to, but sounds 100% accurate :sakUwu:

I'm glad I passed the first two and started from third season. It's not without it's flaws and questionable tropes, but I have feeling it's still big improvement :jisoosmh:
It is much better, the only thing they didn't improve on was my good friend
sexual assault of course :wimwim: which is treated like a total joke with the ridiculous animation and 'swan diving' into the pile of tied up 'hot babes' even tho, as I said in my previous rant, SAO really wants to be regarded as a serious series with serious plot points and should be taken 100% seriously and not like a joke at all :irenecrazy::irenecrazy::irenecrazy:

Baechu

레드벨벳
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Idk whether or not I should feel proud for being the first tag :irenecrazy:

NOW LEMME TELL YOU WHAT I HATED ABOUT ALFHEIM ARC EVEN MORE THAN THE WEIRD INCEST PLOT

So the villain guy is creepy as hell obviously, but i'm still pretty certain that he didn't have to strip her for us to work that out. And also the research tentacle guys... they could have been anything other than tentacle monsters wrapping their phallic appendages up Asuna's leg...

Now of course sexual assault isn't exactly a surprise to see in anime but the main issue with it is that the creators of SAO are clearly trying to sell the series as a serious adventure story where people actually die n stuff!! The show comes off as a kid's show most of the time because of how bad it fails to be serious with all of the harem shit for example, and then they sprinkle in some sexual assault that adds nothing to the story what so ever just to top it off. They portrayed Asuna as a weak damsel in distress which didn't sit well with fans anyway but the only thing they had to do to show that was show the power dynamic between her and the villain/s i.e. restrain her, that's it, just restrain her, that's all you had to do, what's with this tentacle shit, anyways... Another annoying thing is that not only did they throw in sexual assault that really wasn't needed, they also panned the camera like trailing up and down her body, trying to portray her in a sexual light to us, the viewer, and essentially not taking the subject of sexual assault seriously at all even though the series wants SO MUCH to be respected as a serious series with serious plot points. We didn't dumb the series down to something more akin to a terrifying frankenstein of a kid's show with how stupid the plot points were mixed with a bad hentai with all the sexual assault that was not treated with the weight it deserves.

And the worst part is that I have more to say in this topic in later seasons :wimwim:
this is so true and sad wtf :yolk:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
It is much better, the only thing they didn't improve on was my good friend
sexual assault of course :wimwim: which is treated like a total joke with the ridiculous animation and 'swan diving' into the pile of tied up 'hot babes' even tho, as I said in my previous rant, SAO really wants to be regarded as a serious series with serious plot points and should be taken 100% seriously and not like a joke at all :irenecrazy::irenecrazy::irenecrazy:
The double rape scene they had was ridiculous. It was such facepalming moment for me. It really throw me off since there was nothing in the anime that far that was would been that "mature" content and I'm not meaning mature here as positive rather than rating. I saw everyone commenting about that episode how it wasn't necessary to go that far and asking they tuned up to Goblin Slayer ep instead cause the mood change was so big. Original author of SAO actually kind of apologized to voice actors of the girls and said he wouldn't use that as plot element anymore. I wonder if you saw that?: Reki Kawahara Apologizes to Voice Actors for Latest Sword Art Online Episode

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Ship
The double rape scene they had was ridiculous. It was such facepalming moment for me. It really throw me off since there was nothing in the anime that far that was would been that "mature" content and I'm not meaning mature here as positive rather than rating. I saw everyone commenting about that episode how it wasn't necessary to go that far and asking they tuned up to Goblin Slayer ep instead cause the mood change was so big. Original author of SAO actually kind of apologized to voice actors of the girls and said he wouldn't use that as plot element anymore. I wonder if you saw that?: Reki Kawahara Apologizes to Voice Actors for Latest Sword Art Online Episode
Yeah I saw that he had to apologise, thing is he apologised as soon as the episode aired like if he knew that it was a really shitty plot element then why didn't he try to change it? Why put the VAs through that? If he realised it last minute before the series aired then I would rather he postponed it to rewrite that episode and I don't think there's a single fan out there who would have a problem with it being postponed a few days or even weeks if we didn't have to watch that scene. He should have learned his lesson about it after the alfheim arc to be fairly honest, or at least learned to be more careful when using that plot element, it felt like he just took the piss more and more each time it appeared in the series.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Yeah I saw that he had to apologise, thing is he apologised as soon as the episode aired like if he knew that it was a really shitty plot element then why didn't he try to change it? Why put the VAs through that? If he realised it last minute before the series aired then I would rather he postponed it to rewrite that episode and I don't think there's a single fan out there who would have a problem with it being postponed a few days or even weeks if we didn't have to watch that scene. He should have learned his lesson about it after the alfheim arc to be fairly honest, or at least learned to be more careful when using that plot element, it felt like he just took the piss more and more each time it appeared in the series.
I'm not sure how involved he's with production and decision making, some mangakas do oversee the projects but not all of them. I guess he could have said sth like this scene is overkill, maybe it would be nice if screenwriters could figure sth less disturbing to replace it that would create conflict. I don't think possible postponings are up to him though that's producer level stuff. It would been nice if they would have just scaled that scene down a bit since I don't know anyone who think that was actually good scene.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread