Welcome to the friendliest KPOP forum around!
Wanting to join the rest of our awesome community? Feel free to sign up today. We won't bite. Did we mention we are troll-free too?

South Korea will lift abortion ban in 2020 (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Rookie
Reaction score
South Korea has been one of few developed countries where abortions have been criminalized. South Korea's abortion ban has been in effect since 1953 with exceptions of rape, incest, danger of pregnancy to the mom and genetic disorders. Despite criminalization illegal abortions have been rather common in Korea (as high as 500k in 2016) and just few women and doctors have been prosecuted.

Now court of SK has called lift of the ban that would be realized at end of 2020. New law would allow termination of pregnancy at it's early states and remove charges towards doctors performing abortions. Lot of pro-choice, women rights and human rights groups have been rejoiced over this development.

--
Now personally I didn't even know South Korea had criminalized abortions, but thinking of cases where lot of especially young single women that abandon their children either to die in carbage or sth like that or in safer designed places like in drop boxes designed for it, it does make sense: 'Baby box is last resort to parents, newborns in Korea ' . There is lot of unwanted pregnancies and not legal ways to stop them so in cases of baby being abandoned to death at birth and mother being responsible of child murder (it's pretty serious crime to leave your baby to die) abortion does seem like better option at least to me.

Sources: South Korean court rules abortion ban must be lifted
Abortion in South Korea - Wikipedia

'Baby box is last resort to parents, newborns in Korea '

Ozymandias

SIXNINE CENTER
Reaction score
Shipped With
Long time coming honestly. Happy this has been approved.

Reactions: blueberries

blueberries

Rookie
Reaction score
Long time coming honestly. Happy this has been approved.
Yup, I don't know if i'm pro-choice exactly, but criminalizing abortion hasn't done anything than push people to commit crimes and make decisions that are even worse like abandoning newborns. Like if country wants to lower abortion rate then only way to do that is provide enough support for mothers and families so that they can keep the babies even if they are unplanned.

Reactions: Ozymandias

Ozymandias

SIXNINE CENTER
Reaction score
Shipped With
Yup, I don't know if i'm pro-choice exactly, but criminalizing abortion hasn't done anything than push people to commit crimes and make decisions that are even worse like abandoning newborns. Like if country wants to lower abortion rate then only way to do that is provide enough support for mothers and families so that they can keep the babies even if they are unplanned.
I am definitely pro-choice as long as it's in the early stages.

But yeah the more important problem is what you said- criminalizing abortion pushes people to crimes and worse things, there should be a clear policy and system/procedure outlining how to get an abortion safely and legally, which will be far more beneficial in the long run for everyone involved imo.

Reactions: blueberries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bulletproof Current World Events 22
Yolks Current World Events 26