COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Appreciation My favorite time of the year! (1 Viewer)

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
It is the evening of the 23rd of June and the early morning of the 24th aka Jaanilaupäev/jaanipäev in Estonia!

At the evening of jaanilaupäev after the sun sets everybody lights a fire! The bigger the better (As long as it is safe naturally) Families come together, friends gather, neighbourhoods get together and talk for hours! It is just such a friendly and nice holiday.

There are no expectations, no gifts, no rules and no obligations. Just the fire, the barbeque, the food and the company! I LOVE IT!

And after everybody has gone to sleep and the fire has gotten small I love to stay next to the fire alone for a few more hours just looking at the last remains of the fire and the coals. It is beautiful and so peaceful!

Here are some pictures I took of our fire this year from the pile of branches and logs to the fire at its highest point to what I was just sitting next to for like 3 hours.

a fire 3.jpg
a fire 2.jpg
A fire 1.jpg

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
this sounds so relaxing and enjoyable
I just came back from Michigan, where we also had a campfire, and there were lots of people there too, it was my first time, and I loved it

have fun and make some memories~

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
Reactions Received
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Bana
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
It's really important in some parts of Europe. I know for Latvians and Estonians it's more important than christmas.
Really?! That sounds amazing! We don't really have any nationwide celebrations like that here in America, but my family does some celebrations like this but in different ways (my family is Scottish!)

this sounds so relaxing and enjoyable
I just came back from Michigan, where we also had a campfire, and there were lots of people there too, it was my first time, and I loved it

have fun and make some memories~
:0000 where in Michigan?! I was born there!

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Really?! That sounds amazing! We don't really have any nationwide celebrations like that here in America, but my family does some celebrations like this but in different ways (my family is Scottish!)

:0000 where in Michigan?! I was born there!
we went to Munising, and Mackinac Island really, for the waterfalls and fudge lol. We drove from Wisconsin so yeah :/

Reactions Received
KS Coins
This actually sounds like Christmas, this also sounds pretty fun and peaceful.
Watching the fire, a family gathering so affectionate.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
That sounds kinda sad to me. Cities are empty on the 23rd in Estonia because everyone has traveled to the countryside for it...

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
Reactions Received
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Bana
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
we went to Munising, and Mackinac Island really, for the waterfalls and fudge lol. We drove from Wisconsin so yeah :/
Oh cool! I love Munising, being right by Lake Superior is so great to me! The falls there are AMAZING

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
This actually sounds like Christmas, this also sounds pretty fun and peaceful.
Watching the fire, a family gathering so affectionate.
It is quite similar, but I prefer it over christmas because Christmas has this pressure of gifts. It has so much hype around it and it causes so much stress before the holiday and during.

Jaanipäev doesn't have that stress.

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
Reactions Received
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Bana
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
That sounds kinda sad to me. Cities are empty on the 23rd in Estonia because everyone has traveled to the countryside for it...
America is really sucky when it comes to culture like this tbh,,, I'm just glad my family at least brings some Scottish traditions and holidays here! For example, in Scotland, you have month long holidays that mark the start of new seasons, and we do that even here!

Reactions Received
KS Coins
It is quite similar, but I prefer it over christmas because Christmas has this pressure of gifts. It has so much hype around it and it causes so much stress before the holiday and during.

Jaanipäev doesn't have that stress.
I would love to celebrate it though does people who live out of Estonia celebrate Jaanipäev?

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I would love to celebrate it though does people who live out of Estonia celebrate Jaanipäev?
Yeah, it's just as big if not bigger in Latvia, I think people in finland celebrate it, some people in Sweden etc. Mostly in northern and eastern europe is where it is celebrated!

Nobody is stopping you from celebrating it aswell! It's just generally really nice! There are also some additional traditions that come with it but those aren't mandatory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread