COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Minzy Files Lawsuit Against Music Works (1 Viewer)

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Source

Former 2NE1 member Minzy reportedly filed a lawsuit against her company Music Works, seeking termination of her contract and over $40,000 in damages.
According to sources from the court via Kookmin Ilbo, Minzy recently filed a lawsuit with the Seoul Central District Court against Music Works to suspend the validity of her contract with them. She is also seeking ₩50 million KRW ($42,740 USD) in damages from the company. The court held an interrogation on October 18 and called in both Music Works and Minzy to hear their respective positions on the dispute. The results of the injunction have yet to be released.
Later that same day, another media outlet asked Music Works for a response. A source from the agency stated, “We are currently checking the contents of the report claiming that Gong Minzy requested an injunction to suspend her exclusive contract last month.”

While nothing is confirmed yet, her now former manager recently confirmed to a fan that he is not her manager anymore.
Minzy signed with the company after leaving YG Entertainment back in 2016, releasing one album in 2017 and one single in 2018, an output that might be related to this lawsuit.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
honestly not surprised. Minzy deserves better.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
So shit finally hit the fan...:pepeslippy:

I knew she was having issues with Music Works but not to this extent. To be fair, they actually did a good job promoting her album, she went on Koms, Sister's slam dunk, promoted on different shows for a long period and even was allowed to produce her own material. I honestly don't understand what the hell happened to get to this point.
:welp:

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
i was just wondering what she was up to as i loved her debut album. i don't know what happened but i hope the situation ends well somehow.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Good for her. She deserves better. Hopefully she can keep her album. If I were Minzy I would sign with a company like Stone music. PSY isnt taking anymore people. Or in a great PR and fan pleasing move I would sign with D-Nation.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
So shit finally hit the fan...:pepeslippy:

I knew she was having issues with Music Works but not to this extent. To be fair, they actually did a good job promoting her album, she went on Koms, Sister's slam dunk, promoted on different shows for a long period and even was allowed to produce her own material. I honestly don't understand what the hell happened to get to this point.
:welp:
I'd guess that they stopped promoting and supporting her :dubuthink: Ninano was great, but All of you say was odd one, English track, no promotions rly, the mv was shot weirdly and no proper live show appearances, it feels like it wasn't rly funded.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'd guess that they stopped promoting and supporting her :dubuthink: Ninano was great, but All of you say was odd one, English track, no promotions rly, the mv was shot weirdly and no proper live show appearances, it feels like it wasn't rly funded.
The thing is that her album flopped hard in SK and it seems Minzy signed with MW for two albums but they don't want to spend more money on her. All of you say, as well as a couple of fan meetings (I believe the ones in Europe) were done by Minzy and her friend Ashley Choi.
This is me speculating of course but this is the only explanation for MW's sudden change of attitude towards her. As I said previously, they actually gave her freedom and the best resources they could get considering they're a small label.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
The thing is that her album flopped hard in SK and it seems Minzy signed with MW for two albums but they don't want to spend more money on her. All of you say, as well as a couple of fan meetings (I believe the ones in Europe) were done by Minzy and her friend Ashley Choi.
This is me speculating of course but this is the only explanation for MW's sudden change of attitude towards her. As I said previously, they actually gave her freedom and the best resources they could get considering they're a small label.
Yep, I don't rly blame MW on this since I think they really tried with her first album. Sometimes things just don't work out. But I wonder if Minzy filing lawsuit to get out of company or because she didn't receive second album? I think both are fair.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Yep, I don't rly blame MW on this since I think they really tried with her first album. Sometimes things just don't work out. But I wonder if Minzy filing lawsuit to get out of company or because she didn't receive second album? I think both are fair.
She replied to a comment on social media (I can't remember if it was on Twt or IG) that her new album is ready but MW don't want to release it, in that case the company is clearly at fault. If they're on that point they can't trust each other I believe the best is to part ways, just as she is doing right now. She's also asking for a monetary compensation which makes me wonder if she had to fund part of the album production.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Good for her. She deserves better. Hopefully she can keep her album. If I were Minzy I would sign with a company like Stone music. PSY isnt taking anymore people. Or in a great PR and fan pleasing move I would sign with D-Nation.
That would be awesome! Scotty is doing a really good job with Bom but I won't get my hopes up, my ClownJack heart can't take any more delusion. I have my rainbow wig and red nose ready for Queendom's finale and "2ne1's reunion"...
:yolk:

PWSwan

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Psycho
Pronouns
She/her
I'd prefer that she sign with D Nation, but Psy's very good about keeping his business close to his vest; remember that no one suspected that Crush would sign until all the paperwork was done.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'd prefer that she sign with D Nation, but Psy's very good about keeping his business close to his vest; remember that no one suspected that Crush would sign until all the paperwork was done.
True but in a interview he made it clear he can't take on everyone (in response to claims of him taking CL) and that he just needs a small team. He has Hyuna, Jesse, Hyojong and Crush for soloist plus he wants to debut a idol group. I think for now he's done. Besides PSY is close to Yang who Minzy is not cool with, PSY won't jeopardize his relationship with the Yangs and YGE for Minzy.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
That would be awesome! Scotty is doing a really good job with Bom but I won't get my hopes up, my ClownJack heart can't take any more delusion. I have my rainbow wig and red nose ready for Queendom's finale and "2ne1's reunion"...
:yolk:
With this drama I think there is a chance. However we don't know if D-Nation can handle another act at this time or if Minzy would even want to sign with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread