COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Korea Banning Look Alike Kpop Stars on TV ~ (1 Viewer)

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship

TL;DR : Korea wants to limit the amount of KPOP stars appearing on one television program at once because they think it promotes unrealistic beauty standards.

Yeah guys I don't even know LOL.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Unrealistic beauty standards that their country has but sure let's put the blame elsewhere, that'll solve it.

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Unrealistic beauty standards that their country has but sure let's put the blame elsewhere, that'll solve it.
They literally got all these PS billboards in every train station telling people they're not good enough and encouraging them to be good enough by having PS lol. I think they should do something about that before banning idols on TV.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Unrelated, but is that Aqua in your dp?
Indeed it is

They literally got all these PS billboards in every train station telling people they're not good enough and encouraging them to be good enough by having PS lol. I think they should do something about that before banning idols on TV.
They'd have to admit they're doing something wrong then though.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
I mean imo I think magazines and such promote it way more than tv
cuz photo's can be photoshopped and such into an unrealistic image.
With TV it's more difficult and not done I think?
I personally feel a teen would pay more attention to body and such on paper

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I was with them in terms of having diversity in animation and ads etc., but i don't think it's right to ban singers just cause they are usually same age group and looks, that's not right way to go about this. They are real people with jobs. I really wonder what will that mean in reality like what will weekly music shows do then?

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I was with them in terms of having diversity in animation and ads etc., but i don't think it's right to ban singers just cause they are usually same age group and looks, that's not right way to go about this. They are real people with jobs. I really wonder what will that mean in reality like what will weekly music shows do then?
Oh good question. I'm pretty sure they'll exclude music shows from this clause, otherwise they'll have to cancel them altogether.

Reactions Received
KS Coins

TL;DR : Korea wants to limit the amount of KPOP stars appearing on one television program at once because they think it promotes unrealistic beauty standards.

Yeah guys I don't even know LOL.
OMG, please tell me this is false...

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Basically.
They suddenly realized the surreal beauty standards, that all media companies have helped to spread for years and years, are wrong. It's just as if they don't have any responsability for all the idols bullied and ridiculized precisily, because of it.

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
The saddest part is idols are a victim of these beauty standards and now they're the ones getting snubbed too. It's like they can't win lol.

taemkitten

누난 너무 예뻐
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Yikes.

That's all I have to say.

Well, not all I have to say. When have I ever been quiet?
I agree with a lot of the other people responding in this thread. I think it's great to promote realistic and healthy beauty standards, but I also don't think this is the place to start. Perhaps phase out the "standard beauty" that companies look for in idol groups and go for the super simple, natural beauty but don't discredit the current idols and trainees just because you suddenly, as a government, decided that your decades of "standard beauty" weren't realistic; this also goes for a lot of the idols and artists in general that happen to sort of look similar, BY BIRTH, not because they got PS or altered themselves with make up etc to look a certain way/standard - what about those people? And where do you draw that line? Someone with the natural beauty that matches the "standard beauty/look" that said governmental panel decides is "too generic/too plastic/too fake/too unrealistic" is also snubbed? So...do you want them to use PS (an unnatural proceedure) to change the way they look just so they are unique enough to be appearing on shows/programs on television? Basically what you are trying to go against, right?

Start removing the scads of PS ads, the enormous amounts of photoshop used in magazines, for one. Maybe stop with the skin bleaching/over promotion of pale as Hell skin that some idols have naturally while others don't. Let people be comfortable in their own skin - both color and natural looks (regardless if it fits the "standard" or not).

At this point, though, it's been so heavily ingrained in the brains of most youth and young adults/middle aged individuals that they have to look a certain way, and unlike this similar mindset being ingrained in other countries' youth (ie USA), the "follow the grain, don't go against it" mentality that South Korea is known for having (and has for a long, long time) it's very hard to suddenly switch gears. It's going to take years to change this mindset. It's happening, but this is just the start.

Don't jump the gun with this and you can do it correctly for future generations to come.

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I think beauty standards are a good thing, but when they are pushed too far yeah its an issue. To solve that issue instead of limiting who can act based on their looks idk maybe practice the message you're trying to preach and just hire who's best pretty or not.
Well said

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread