COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Kim Kardashian West in hot water for 'Cultural Appropriation' (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
Kim Kardashian West denies cultural appropriation in kimono row
The reality TV star has faced a backlash from social media users after using a Japanese word for her new shapewear line.
By Lucia Binding, news reporter
Friday 28 June 2019 12:37, UK
Kim Kardashian West arrives to attend the amfAR Gala New York at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City on February 6, 2019
Image:Kim Kardashian West has denied allegations of cultural appropriation

Kim Kardashian West has denied allegations of cultural appropriation after trademarking a Japanese word for her new shapewear brand, Kimono Intimates.

The reality television star has faced a backlash for trademarking a term which critics on social media have said disrespects traditional Japanese clothing.

In a statement to the New York Times, the 38-year-old said she wanted the name of her shapewear, which is a play on her first name, to "nod to the beauty and detail" that goes into a kimono.

Kim Kardashian West's Kimono underwear line branded 'offensive'
Kim Kardashian West's Kimono underwear line branded 'offensive'
Japanese social media users criticise reality TV star

She added: "I understand and have deep respect for the significance of the kimono in Japanese culture.

"My solutionwear brand is built with inclusivity and diversity at its core and I'm incredibly proud of what's to come."

Kardashian West, who is studying to become a lawyer, said she had no plans to change the name of her new brand.

She was lambasted on social media following the launch earlier this week, with some people tweeting using the hashtag #KimOhNo.

Many said associating kimonos with underwear constituted cultural appropriation and undermined the Japanese garment, which is the opposite of shapewear.

The word kimono literally means "thing to wear on the shoulders" in Japanese and is usually worn ankle-length with a flat collar for formal occasions including important public holidays and weddings.

Women wearing kimonos walk along a street in Tokyo's Asakusa district
Image:Women wearing kimonos walk along a street in Tokyo's Asakusa district

YouTuber Yuka Ohishi tweeted: "Naming your product/startup with Japanese words might seem hip and all, but it really sucks for us when our culture is diluted by names of brands that don't have anything to do with what the word actually represents."
Another person tweeted: "I find this pretty offensive, the fact that you're trademarking a kimono as your underwear brand is stupid. People wear these during important Japanese rituals and marriages. #KimOhNo."
Kardashian West trademarked the Kimono brand last year in the US and has also filed trademarks for "Kimono Body", "Kimono Intimates" and "Kimono World".
The celebrity mother-of-four said she had developed the project over the last year and has been passionate about it for 15 years.
"I would always cut up my shapewear to make my own styles, and there have also been so many times I couldn't find a shapeware colour that blended with my skin tone so we needed a solution for all of this," she added.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
oh, she's in hot water too? so am i! yay global warming!

jokes aside, this is... not it. My japanese fish friends are NOT happy about this.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
She really messed up when she picked up "Kimono" as a name for her whatever brand... I can't believe how she think it was okay?! :nayeonisdone: Is she going to do the right thing and change the name or what? Not to be rude or whatever but everyone against her is right, it's not okay to get "Kimono" as a name for her underwear brand, Kimono is important to japanese culture, and everyone knows it she is worse than I thought if she think it's okay to keep her brand name like this idk sorry if I was harsh, I just find this situation... To be a mess.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I am sorry but this is PLAIN STUPIDITY. The line is called KIM= her name and MONO = the type of clothing she's trying to sell, no rocket science, no cultural background or whatsover. People on SNS need to get a life, honestly...

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I am sorry but this is PLAIN STUPIDITY. The line is called KIM= her name and MONO = the type of clothing she's trying to sell, no rocket science, no cultural background or whatsover. People on SNS need to get a life, honestly...
People are more angry about her trademarking "Kimono" for her brand and are worried that it'll overtake the meaning of actual kimonos here because she has such a huge presence in the fashion industry

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
But wouldn't it be Kimmono then if that was the case.
This seems to me like it was 'cultural background' as she even says 'In a statement to the New York Times, the 38-year-old said she wanted the name of her shapewear, which is a play on her first name, to "nod to the beauty and detail" that goes into a kimono.'
So she is mentioning the beauty and detail that goes into a Kimono which is a Japanese dress.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
People are more angry about her trademarking "Kimono" for her brand and are worried that it'll overtake the meaning of actual kimonos here because she has such a huge presence in the fashion industry
Yes, because she's a big name and when people hear the word 'Kimono', people will think of Kim Kardashian brand and not the actual traditional Japanese Dress, which would be a shame to say the least, so I can understand the anger here.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
With the state of our society as a whole, no wonder they are worried. Just someone really ignorant would confuse an actual Kimono with Kim's body shapers...

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
For the most part, I agree with you. People really need to chill.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I do agree it is a bit out of taste, but kimono isn't trademarked as far as I know. From a business point of view, it's actually a great move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread