Welcome to the friendliest & modern K-POP discussion forum around!
Wanting to join our friendly forum with modern functionality? Feel free to sign up today. We won't bite. Join us now for a fun & engaging experience in the fastest growing kpop discussion community!

Opinions Kim Kardashian Starts Kimono Line. Obvious Backlash Follows

MonCherry

🆀🆄🅴🅴🅽'🆂
Reaction score
Shipped With
Source: Kim Kardashian West's 'Kimono' range riles Japan

Kim Kardashian West has angered people in Japan with the launch of her new shapewear brand, Kimono Intimates.

The reality star said the label, launched on Tuesday, is inclusive and "celebrates and enhances the shape and curves of women".

But Japanese people on social media have said the trademarked brand disrespects traditional clothing.

The kimono, a loose long-sleeved robe typically tied with a sash, dates back to 15th Century Japan.

Considered the national dress of Japan, it is now mostly worn during special occasions.
"We wear kimonos to celebrate health, growth of children, engagements, marriages, graduations, at funerals. It's celebratory wear and passed on in families through the generations," Japanese user Yuka Ohishi told the BBC.

"[This] shapewear doesn't even resemble a kimono - she just chose a word that has Kim in it - there's no respect to what the garment actually means in our culture."

d96olkxu4am_qzu-jpeg.32420

Kardashian West trademarked the Kimono brand last year in the US. She has also filed trademarks for "Kimono Body", "Kimono Intimates" and "Kimono World".

The underwear, designed to create smooth lines under clothing, is available in several different colours.

Kardashian West said on Twitter that there were "so many times I couldn't find a shapeware color that blended with my skin tone so we needed a solution for all of this".

Many people have taken issue with the fact she trademarked a word of huge cultural significance in Japanese culture. Others were annoyed that the traditional garment now shares the same as name as an intimate wear brand.

Some have been tweeting with the hashtag #KimOhNo.
Others feared people might start to associate the kimono with Kardashian West, rather than Japan.

"I think Kim has so much influence on pop culture, I fear there will be people who only know the word kimono as her brand," said Ms Ohishi.

"I imagine it will have an effect on search results, hashtags, if this brand becomes as powerful as her other ventures."

MonCherry

🆀🆄🅴🅴🅽'🆂
Reaction score
Shipped With
Can she just go back to freeing black men from prison?
I liked her a lot when she was doing that :jisoosmh:

MonCherry

🆀🆄🅴🅴🅽'🆂
Reaction score
Shipped With
She should not use the name for obvious reasons!... This is not a good move...C'mon ~idk what to say this is just absurd...
:jisoosmh:
It's always amazing when something is so stupid I can't comment on it. :kijoongstare:
Especially this day and age, with this climate

Reaction score
I think the trademark here is definitely problem cause how can u trademark word that is associated by another culture and such big part of it.

Though there is actually similar issue happening in my country like now, like someone Greek dude had trademarked word Karelia for his tobacco company cause that's his family name, but Karelia is actually very culturally significant religion in Finland with lot of food products being associated with it like Karelian pie and Karelian stew. One Finnish honey company tried to sell product named Karelian Honey cause it was produced in Karelia's region, but they were denied because of this Greek dude's tobacco company going by name Karelias.

It's just really shitty how someone can trademark sth that holds significance for tons of others.

MochiFace

Idol
Reaction score
☼ in the dungeon throwing a party with SMNGG ☼
Damn when i read the title i thought that it'll be a lot of buzz for nothing and she just did some kind of "Kimono" that h&m etc.. sell with Kim K touch

But no it's not even this kind of kimono, it doesn't look or have anything in common with a kimono i understand why people are angry

you can't use a word with a signification so big for the first thing who came in your mind

DrowningFishy

Trainee
Reaction score
Damn when i read the title i thought that it'll be a lot of buzz for nothing and she just did some kind of "Kimono" that h&m etc.. sell with Kim K touch

But no it's not even this kind of kimono, it doesn't look or have anything in common with a kimono i understand why people are angry

you can't use a word with a signification so big for the first thing who came in your mind
Agree. I watched videos of Japanese saying they wouldn't mind the kimono being made into a fashion to keep the kimono alive. So I was a bit confused of what Kim could do so wrong to get ire. Heck we even have kimono style shirts and no one flips their lid.

This however is a giant WTF. If I was the Japanese I wouldn't be having this bull larkey either. Not only that how in the frick frack did she even think this was ok.

Reaction score
Agree. I watched videos of Japanese saying they wouldn't mind the kimono being made into a fashion to keep the kimono alive. So I was a bit confused of what Kim could do so wrong to get ire. Heck we even have kimono style shirts and no one flips their lid.

This however is a giant WTF. If I was the Japanese I wouldn't be having this bull larkey either. Not only that how in the frick frack did she even think this was ok.
Yup the biggest issue here is that if someone from Japan goes to USA now and wants to sell product that is called Kimono or Kimono something, it might not be possible cause they could argue that Kim owns that trademark.

TaShye

Flop
Reaction score
Why not name her product Kim-Mono or KimMono. Makes more sense to me than KimONO.
UGGHHHH
"Kimono world" sounds like it would've been a cool trademark for a Kimono company with goals of bringing Kimono to people (especially those of Japanese descent) outside of Japan. Like in the U.S, Brazil, Peru, Philippines, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Mexico, Argentina, etc. (Yes, these are places with Japanese diaspora)

feepit

Nugu
Reaction score
Kim O No she better don't!

IDK if it's my dirty mind but Kimono World sounds like a fetish site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)