COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Is Gfriend getting replaced out of the top 5 gg? (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Looking at the Gaon Chart yearly reviews we see them go further and further down. They also haven’t had a big hit like the other girl groups in their category have in a while. Mamamoo recently has Hip, Red Velvet has Psycho and Twice and BP are Twice and BP.

2019 overall Gaon girl groups review
A4AAD275-6FF3-4280-9998-5126F4061B79.jpeg

2019 physical Gaon girl group review
6B700F97-86A3-4AD1-880B-2F4C6106DD77.jpeg

2019 digital Gaon girl group review
2508B5A4-033C-4E69-B72A-829849702D12.jpeg

Compared to 2018
9A2B0459-D769-4CA8-815D-90ABE65CF220.jpeg

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
In sales sure, in brand value Gfriend are way more established than anyone who you'd question replacing them with, if Itzy or Iz*One got a national hit then they'd establish themselves on the same level.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Izone would have been at least 5th with bloom iz.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
In sales sure, in brand value Gfriend are way more established than anyone who you'd question replacing them with, if Itzy or Iz*One got a national hit then they'd establish themselves on the same level.
I did nt like it but didnt dala do crazy well in an off year? Not rough but pretty good almost 800 million DP is serious. over the 100 Million stream deal.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I did nt like it but didnt dala do crazy well in an off year? Not rough but pretty good almost 800 million DP is serious.
It was definitely one of the bigger hits in the year but I don't know if i'd say anything last year really constituted as a national hit from groups unless the standards for success need to change because the numbers just don't get better.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
The impact Gfriend left on kpop overall is much bigger than itzy or iz*one's . None of them released smth as big as rough or me gustas tu. If you are not a new kpop fan, you know what i mean. National hit is a different level than a simple hit.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
It was definitely one of the bigger hits in the year but I don't know if i'd say anything last year really constituted as a national hit from groups unless the standards for success need to change because the numbers just don't get better.
if it hits the dl mark for sure. But very few are hitting that. 16 last year and more than half were from prev years the rest really adult songs mostly

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
if it hits the dl mark for sure. But very few are hitting that. 16 last year and more than half were from prev years the rest really adult songs mostly
Maybe 2019 was just a bad year but we'll only really know once this years Gaon has been if things are gonna keep spiraling

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
gfriend still is gfriend and their brand value isn‘t going anywhere

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
They're not as strong as they once were during their peak. For now I guess you can say Itzy and Iz*one are the hotter groups. But with BigHit, maybe GFriend will have another resurgence.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Yeah in terms of most popular they definitely are not in the top 5 anymore, no offense to the girls but they haven’t had a hit in a long time and they lack in physical and digital sales compared to the girl groups that they’re supposed to be head to head with.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Short version: Gfriend has a lot of brand value and a strong fanbase. While they haven't kept up with their Big 5 counterparts no other 3rd Gen GG was able to displace them or compete with TWBPMamoRV. However, 2018-2019 rookies groups ITZY, Everglow, and (G) I-DLE are competition who have that potential, especially ITZY.

*That gap between TWICE and everyone else :zoomeyes:

Long Version: Gfriend I think is in a strange position. They have brand value, public recognition, and a strong fanbase. Their main problem is that honestly they haven't expanded or kept up with their counterparts in terms of commercial success, hype and sometimes critical acclaim. However, there hasn't really been other 3rd Gen gg who could compete with them or their counterparts, so no threat. But the 2018-2019 GG has produced very strong competition namely ITZY, Everglow, G-idle, (Izone?, I don't fully count temporary groups). None of them are on the level of TwiceBPMamoRV, but they've made big splashes in a wide variety of areas; commercial, critical, fandoms, youtube, etc etc. Defiantly they're looking to be the future main groups, especially if the 2014 groups disband next year. I don't know how this will affect Gfried's legacy as they only have two more years left but I think they really need a new approach. Source Music tried The Boys route in 2017 with Fingertip and since that underperformed I think SourceMusic decided to play it safe, with imo only Time for the Moonlight being an interesting release. SourceMusic should realize that Gfriend in fact has a brand value and a stable fanbase, then can grow and not just do generic-coffee house pure music. Frankly, all they need are consistent redefining and well-received singles/EPs to secure their position.

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Would be sad, I prefer them over big 3.

We all know in the end it'll be Itzy and the new YG and SM groups all over the ranks eventually

Reactions Received
KS Coins
The impact Gfriend left on kpop overall is much bigger than itzy or iz*one's . None of them released smth as big as rough or me gustas tu. If you are not a new kpop fan, you know what i mean. National hit is a different level than a simple hit.
I agree but even if you have impact on the industry there will be a time when someone overtakes you. The same happened with SNSD, 2NE1, Apink, etc

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Short version: Gfriend has a lot of brand value and a strong fanbase. While they haven't kept up with their Big 5 counterparts no other 3rd Gen GG was able to displace them or compete with TWBPMamoRV. However, 2018-2019 rookies groups ITZY, Everglow, and (G) I-DLE are competition who have that potential, especially ITZY.

*That gap between TWICE and everyone else :zoomeyes:

Long Version: Gfriend I think is in a strange position. They have brand value, public recognition, and a strong fanbase. Their main problem is that honestly they haven't expanded or kept up with their counterparts in terms of commercial success, hype and sometimes critical acclaim. However, there hasn't really been other 3rd Gen gg who could compete with them or their counterparts, so no threat. But the 2018-2019 GG has produced very strong competition namely ITZY, Everglow, G-idle, (Izone?, I don't fully count temporary groups). None of them are on the level of TwiceBPMamoRV, but they've made big splashes in a wide variety of areas; commercial, critical, fandoms, youtube, etc etc. Defiantly they're looking to be the future main groups, especially if the 2014 groups disband next year. I don't know how this will affect Gfried's legacy as they only have two more years left but I think they really need a new approach. Source Music tried The Boys route in 2017 with Fingertip and since that underperformed I think SourceMusic decided to play it safe, with imo only Time for the Moonlight being an interesting release. SourceMusic should realize that Gfriend in fact has a brand value and a stable fanbase, then can grow and not just do generic-coffee house pure music. Frankly, all they need are consistent redefining and well-received singles/EPs to secure their position.
Ohh I really liked your stance on this. I agree

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread