COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Rumor iKON under fire after clip emerges of BI ‘pranking’ mom by coming out to her (1 Viewer)

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
iKON has recently come under fire after an iKON fan posted a video clip and subtitles from the ‘iKON GROUND’ portion of their Japanese ‘SUMMERTIME’ DVD on Twitter. As a part of a game attempting to get her to say ‘heol‘, the clip shows BI calling his mother and playing a “prank”, coming out to her as gay as the rest of the members go into hysterics due to the apparent amusement of the prospect.

The fan’s translation of this clip brought down even further criticism, as they assigned Bobby credit for worrying about the mental stability of BI’s mother. However, the best/friendliest explanation of the events puts that comment onto whatever YG Entertainment staffer captioned this mess, and explains the whole thing quite well.

I followed the drama for a bit so I get the complaints that it was stans of other groups blowing this up. However, it was an iKON stan (a BI stan, no less) that decided to put the clip up for everybody to see and then translated it, and furthermore, does it even matter what the source was? As somebody who has gone through the process of coming out to family/friends and thus knows how hellish that process can be, and factoring in the reality that the situation in Korea/Japan for people who aren’t straight is worse than in America, it’s disappointing (and potentially damaging to fans watching) to see people play it off as this hilarious thing.

But as in most cases, I’m not going to act like it’s the end of the world and cancel everybody or pretend they’re the only idols who would ever do some shit like this, it’s just that this ‘joke’ hits home a bit and deserves the criticism it’s getting from others, and I don’t think it needs to be or should be defended.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I really don‘t know what to say.

Koala

✯☾🌸Koala Of Spring’s Moon🌸☽✯
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Honestly I still love IKON,but yeah. I didn’t really agree with this joke. It’s a really serious thing to people and it even damages relationships with others because how against people are still against LGBT People.

I just hope next time they’re able to find different things to use for their game

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
Reactions Received
Website
www.last.fm
KS Coins
Fandom
EXO-L?
Ship
Wreck
Ouch, that hurts. Unfortunately these jokes happen frequently, where people think it's a joke to be gay. I just wish B.I was more careful as he is a public figure. He could have said anything else shocking...

EDIT: Apparently this happened years ago. Pretty sure their views have shifted since then.

Last edited:
Reactions Received
KS Coins
BI back in the day was a bit out of control imo. And I mean he himself said so in iKON TV. He's definitely mellowed out too which you can clearly see from the music he's making atm. But yeah not a smart choice tbh. But please miss me with people acting fake woke and trying to cancel iKON. If people genuinely feel that way then I understand. But people jumping on the iKON hate train? Nah allow that please.

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I love iKon, but what were they thinking with this?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
It's acceptable in Asia and that's where they grew up so they haven't really been taught otherwise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread