COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

I dunno how this site feels about it, but... (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I feel like non-black people having dreadlocks or box braids can't be counted as cultural appropriation. To appropriate a culture means that you're taking something from it and either claiming it as your own, or imo just using an aspect when it shouldn't be used; I always like to use the analogy of wearing a wedding dress to a McDonalds even though you're not getting married. What you're wearing has a specific use, and while the dress may be very pretty you look like a dumb dumb by diminishing it's true meaning and what it's really supposed to be used for. That being said, dreadlocks and box braids have never really been used for a certain religious/traditional/sacred purpose. And if you live in America (or have access to the internet) you can literally see everyday black people wearing them like any other hairstyle, and if you asked them why they even have dreadlocks or box braids 9/10 it'll be something relating to how they just always wanted it. Nothing about it being specifically to their culture. So I never understood why SOME (because you all love to generalize and I've seen that) get so upset when they see non-black people wearing it.

And please don't give me that, "BUT WHEN WE WEAR IT!" thing because have you ever thought that maybe instead of attacking the people wearing the hairstyle, you should attack the people adhering/enforcing the double standard?

P.S Black culture isn't one big monolith and neither are black people. You can be black and have different ethnic backgrounds (like yours truly~) which contain different cultures in and of its self, so when you accuse a non-black person of cultural appropriation be sure to include which culture it's coming from and if YOU YOURSELF know enough about its history (because believe it or not black people had a history before slavery). Just saying, "ITS A PART OF BLACK CULTURE BECAUSE THE SLAVES" shows already that you're extremely ignorant about black people.

P.S.S Just want to say that I'm only one black person out of a million. I don't speak for every single black person, and I respect those who do find non-black people wearing dreadlocks/box braids offensive. I, and neither do any of you, have no right to tell people how to feel or to invalidate their feelings on a certain issue. Thanks.

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I was the same with when people said Jennie was appropriating my culture tbh (it was directly from the culture, not just overall culture. Yes there are many different cultures in India as well). People were getting offended on my behalf but I wasn't that caught up about it as they seemed to be. I knew a few people from my culture who were but it wasn't to a large extent either. I'm not even a fan of Blackpink, but Jennie just seemed to be having fun...

Overall, I don't really have an opinion. I just think the term is really overused.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
IN this case I would like to point out that not only are black people not all culturally same, the same thing is with non-black people! The screaming of black people were slaves is ignorant also because throughout history there have been white people that have been slaves aswell!

Not to mention the many european and asian etc countries that never had any black slaves.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I think in general we live in a time where people are deathly afraid of offending anyone and have this idea of protecting people, in some cases it can be justified but others it can be suffocating and with cultural appropriation a lot of it seems to be based on that thinking about the idea someone could be offended and not wanting to speak up so i'll speak up for them.

Not only does that cause silly situations where a person of the culture is not offended and then a person who isn't is but it also divides people who might be interested in the culture and they end up having second thoughts about looking into it and maybe there are people of that culture who actually want their culture shared so you might be protecting one person of that culture while harming another.

As well the truth is anybody can be offended by anything, like someone could be offended by me saying hi but in that situation whose problem is that to solve? It's the persons problem to solve. Not every reason to be offended is justifiable and there are cases where you can be offended by something that is gonna create problems over something that shouldn't instead of reasons that justify themselves like someone being racist, mocking another culture for no good reason, homophobic, etc.

Bom

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I don't think much of 'cultural appropriation' in general. Especially when it comes to hairstyles - I think people should be able to have their hair in any style if they like it.

I don't know where this culture of being offended by everything came from but I sure as hell wish it'd go away. Let people live the way they want to.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Well duh cultural appropriation doesn’t exist

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I think people get too sensitive without these things and don't think the intention behind and just put everyone in same category. Like I get some people try to mimic American African hip hop culture and clothes etc. associated with it and it often looks cringy, but I think with that it's more of adapting style you like than trying to offend or be black. Similar as some girls copying Japanese lolita fashion to me. I only get the anger if the intention is to mock or someone uses religious or deeply cultural stuff disrespectfully.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
And please don't give me that, "BUT WHEN WE WEAR IT!" thing because have you ever thought that maybe instead of attacking the people wearing the hairstyle, you should attack the people adhering/enforcing the double standard?
I don't think you get how that works....

Are we supposed to go around all day yelling at everyone that stares at us? Employers, co-workers, shop-keepers, random people on the street?

Black people have been wearing dreads and cornrows for centuries and the stigma STILL persists...

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Woah. I've always wanted to say this but never had the guts to. It's really nice to see other people agreeing with such a controversial opinion. Though, I'm not black, so I didn't really want to offend anyone.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
IN this case I would like to point out that not only are black people not all culturally same, the same thing is with non-black people! The screaming of black people were slaves is ignorant also because throughout history there have been white people that have been slaves aswell!

Not to mention the many european and asian etc countries that never had any black slaves.
There's a big difference between slavery because of economic status and slavery because of perceived racial inferiority.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
I don't think you get how that works....

Are we supposed to go around all day yelling at everyone that stares at us? Employers, co-workers, shop-keepers, random people on the street?

Black people have been wearing dreads and cornrows for centuries and the stigma STILL persists...
Or maybe there isn’t this “stigma” and people are looking because they like the hair, or they live in a mostly non black area and don’t see it that often. Not everything is nugh racism

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
There's a big difference between slavery because of economic status and slavery because of perceived racial inferiority.
I think you misunderstood my point.

My point overall was that why should let's say Estonian people be lumped together with let me say americans when it comes to talking about white people and racism, when Estonians have barely interacted with black people through the ages and used to be slaves aswell! That was my point.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Or maybe there isn’t this “stigma” and people are looking because they like the hair, or they live in a mostly non black area and don’t see it that often. Not everything is nugh racism
If you want to be dangerously naive to an almost idiotic level then by all means

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
If you want to be dangerously naive to an almost idiotic level then by all means
Man if you wanna stop big bad racism maybe stop forcing people to think about race all the time

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
If I recall correctly, I think dreads have history in more than just black culture. Australia, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
I dont allow San E to use though

He's a really bad boy

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Tbh i dont trust social movements nowadays.

They tend to ignore when the one doing a mistake is one of their "friends". It just makes so much easier for the politicians that almost makes me believe it's all some kgb subversion in the end lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread