COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

How to destroy your career- American actor stages hate crime (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
So this actor Jussie Smollett was claiming that he was attacked by couple man on street that beat him up while yelling racial and homophobic slurs. This got lot of media attention and people were condemning it as hate crime. However some people were doubting the story and now it has came out that Jussie Smollett was arrested and Chigaco's police is claiming that Jussie had actually paid for these men to rough him up and most of his wounds were self-inflicted.

Motivation is speculated to be that he wanted publicity with this so he could get his name out there, become more famous and get higher salaries as actor.

I don't think he will have career anymore to return to when he gets back from prison..

(now the prosecution of this isn't done yet, but everything seems to point out that he's guilty)

Philip DeFranco has quite good run down on what has been happening about this (first story):

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Wait WTF!?! I FELT SO BAD FOR HIM!
WHY WOULD ANYONE STAGE SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE LIKE THAT!?
Yup when i first heard of it i thought he was victim too and felt pretty bad for him, but this just seems really messed up. When you make false claims and even more stage claims, you are hurting actual victims of hate crimes most.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I still can't believe it. How could you do something so shameless? There are so many people actual victims of racist and homophobic attacks and he just does this out of attention??

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Yup when i first heard of it i thought he was victim too and felt pretty bad for him, but this just seems really messed up. When you make false claims and even more stage claims, you are hurting actual victims of hate crimes most.
Exactly! How can people be like this? And he did this all so he can gain an extra buck? Not like he wasn't making enough money anyway. People are so greedy smh.

Panda

a panda just trying to chill
Reactions Received
Website
www.twitch.tv
KS Coins
Fandom
Starlight
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
Absolutely disgusting for him to do that. Like the police officer said in the video, he took advantage of the fact that this story would get so boosted of due to the massive hate towards racism. Real Victims might now be less likely to go to the police cause stuff like this happens. All because of his salary? Oof.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Ugh manipulating people's emotions by acting like the victim of a very real and serious problem only to get ahead in his career. I hope he gets punished.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ugh manipulating people's emotions by acting like the victim of a very real and serious problem only to get ahead in his career. I hope he gets punished.
It seems he will likely get some prison time over it, but if he ends up getting close to nothing I don't think people will let him have his career anymore. He really messed up, but can't say he doesn't deserve the consequences.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Wait WTF!?! I FELT SO BAD FOR HIM!
WHY WOULD ANYONE STAGE SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE LIKE THAT!?
Wizards first rule.

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." Richard and Kahlan frowned even more. "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
"Because of Wizards First Rule, the old wizards created Confessors, and Seekers, as a means of helping find the truth, when the truth is important enough. Darken Rahl knows the Wizard's Rules. He is using the first one. People need an enemy to feel a sense of purpose. It's easy to lead people when they have a sense of purpose. Sense of purpose is more important by far than the truth. In fact, truth has no bearing in this. Darken Rahl is providing them with an enemy, other than himself, a sense of purpose. People are stupid; they want to believe, so they do."
— Chapter 36, p.560, U.S. paperback edition
I have found that piece of fiction to be almost universally true.

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wizards first rule.

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." Richard and Kahlan frowned even more. "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
"Because of Wizards First Rule, the old wizards created Confessors, and Seekers, as a means of helping find the truth, when the truth is important enough. Darken Rahl knows the Wizard's Rules. He is using the first one. People need an enemy to feel a sense of purpose. It's easy to lead people when they have a sense of purpose. Sense of purpose is more important by far than the truth. In fact, truth has no bearing in this. Darken Rahl is providing them with an enemy, other than himself, a sense of purpose. People are stupid; they want to believe, so they do."
— Chapter 36, p.560, U.S. paperback edition
I have found that piece of fiction to be almost universally true.
Oof this is some deep stuff Rand :maheart:

arieam

Reactions Received
Website
youtube.com
KS Coins
the fact that he was willing to let those two men to go to jail to save face. he has serious issues...i really hope he does get written off empire and i really hope he faces the punishment he deserves. the next time an actual hate crime occurs people are going to question it. because of this fucking loser!!!

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I was watching Philip Defranco's newest news ep and noticed it had update on this case so for those who were interested it's here ( the first story):

To write it up shortly: Prosecution dropped all of the charges against Smollett, but hasn't stated that he's innocent and exactly why they did that, they have been vague and said it was seen as best approach or sth like that. Smollett is denying everything and saying he's innocent and was attacked. Chicago police as well as mayor are pissed, they are still sure Smollett wasn't attacked and staged whole thing and they are saying there the prosecution is corrupted.

-- Kinda interesting parallers to what is happening in Korea now, but here it's police who is saying prosecution is corrupted and possibly was brided not other way around. And I have to say lot points out prosecution being corrupted here, they aren't saying he's innocent nor why the charges were dropped, they aren't saying anything about the attackers- if he was innocent shouldn't the attackers be prosecuted for attacking the man?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread