COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

How Did You Get Into Kpop? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
How Did You Get Into Kpop?

Hello Forum!

Activity for today.

How the hell did you get into this mad mad world of Korean pop? What led you to such a rash decision?

Momentary lapse of judgment? Pretty boys? Pretty girls? Killer tunes? Fashion? What?!

Share your journey into kpop!

Mine:

So it was 12 long years ago.

There I was in class being studious when my Korean friend tapped me on the shoulder and said... Eman... look at this.

And on her laptop was SNSD's Into The New World....

So I watched.

Honestly I wasn't convinced until..... Yoona.

She appeared and suddenly I turned back to my friend and said, "Who is she? Who is this girl?"

"Oh that's Yoona."

Dear Allkpopers I was smitten.

Henceforth I was a Yoona fanboy and SNSD stan.

And the rest as they say...is history.

:pikahappy:

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
A friend of mine started talking to me about it as they got into it and didn't have anyone to really talk to about it and eventually ended up coming across a livestream for Show Champion stages which from that I started liking some groups.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
i saw the light that shines out of jimin's butt

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Then I somehow a video with Gee as the background music.
The song was super catchy but I was in my anti-cuteness, above feminity phase.
Couldn't stop thinking about it to where I looked up the original video.
Was confused and excited by everything from the aesthetics to the adorable girl in green shorts
and cool yellow-short girl
to the sound of the Korean language.
Vowed to make it my only kpop song.
Eventually couldn't resist and looked up the next song recommended. Could not recognize a single girl but got whipped for the bossy chick with the good English

Looked up another and fell for this

Vowed to make them the only group. Didn't last a month

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I saw some of Rain music videos on the TV and then I searched it up online and I found about his drama then I found he was in a company called JYP and then I checked jyp music videos and then checked out G.o.d music videos becuase they were in the same company then wonder girls debuted 2PM and Mblaq I got trapped in this kpop trap :sanathink:

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
How Did You Get Into Kpop?

Hello Forum!

Activity for today.

How the hell did you get into this mad mad world of Korean pop? What led you to such a rash decision?

Momentary lapse of judgment? Pretty boys? Pretty girls? Killer tunes? Fashion? What?!

Share your journey into kpop!

Mine:

So it was 12 long years ago.

There I was in class being studious when my Korean friend tapped me on the shoulder and said... Eman... look at this.

And on her laptop was SNSD's Into The New World....

So I watched.

Honestly I wasn't convinced until..... Yoona.

She appeared and suddenly I turned back to my friend and said, "Who is she? Who is this girl?"

"Oh that's Yoona."

Dear Allkpopers I was smitten.

Henceforth I was a Yoona fanboy and SNSD stan.

And the rest as they say...is history.

:pikahappy:

You've told your kpop origin story so many times I dont even have to click spoiler lol.

Mine is similar to yours though. It was also an SM girl group.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
EXO-L
Pronouns
She/Her
Accidentally found Hello Baby with SHINee on yt and was curious so clicked on it. Jonghyun's hair is what caught my eye on the thumbnail and I was like "wtf is this"

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Mostly because my ex gf is a reveluv.

I've known some otakus that were into it before that, but I mostly mocked them and only was interested in Psy and Hyuna.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
Anime xD

Basically exploring through J-Pop and J-Rock, discovering more about BoA and TVXQ (namely that no, they are not Japanese, LOL, they're Korean. Hey! Check that out, K-Pop.)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I was listening to Jpop for a good while and one of my middle school friend told me to listen to Kpop too. She recommended me Shinee and BigBang. I watched Lucifer mv, had a visual and musical shock and decided to explore more of Kpop.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Watched Boys over Flowers, fell in love with Kim Hyun Joong (🤢), started watching his music videos on Youtube. I was then suddenly recommended SS501 MVs (they were actually the first K-Pop group I listened to) and then I was recommended TVXQ songs (I can't even remember the song now but I remember them riding a bike at the beach or something and I remember hating it lol). And then I was recommended EXO's pre-debut teasers. I don't even know how I ended up getting so interested in the teasers because I remember thinking it was weird and that there were so many members (which I didn't find attractive at all lol). But the only boy group I knew back then was 1D so I was very surprised that these boys danced, rapped and sang. So I ended looking into them and soon enough, I knew everything about the boys. I was lucky enough to have ended up finding out about them just a little bit before their debut so not long later MAMA came out and I LOVED it! The album was really good too so I ended up following them and watching everything related to them and now here I am. I feel like if I discovered them when the teasers were first released, I wouldn't be here now. I'm not patient enough for that so I would have lost interest quickly. So it was great timing.
I ended up only stanning EXO until RV's debut but around when Wolf came out, I discovered forums so I started discovering and listening to a lot of other groups and that was when I became a bigger K-Pop fan. I used to love BAP and SPEED back then too.

PWSwan

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Psycho
Pronouns
She/her
Back in 2009, I read a magazine and one article recommended Gee. I watched it and didn't like it; I thought it was kids' music. Then in 2012, I was a regular in a chatroom; one week, they advertised their Gangnam Style. I hadn't watched it at that point, so I checked it out and was hooked immediately. Eventually, one of the recommendations on one of the Psy videos was Gee, so I watched it again; my opinion hadn't changed. I've stayed more to the weird side of Kpop ever since (Crayon Pop, Norazo, BEG's Warm Hole, etc.).

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
back in 2010 I randomly stumbled on SHINee‘s Lucifer and Ring Ding Dong and fell in love with the boys. I slowly got more and more into more groups and rest is history.

what‘s funny is way before that I actually was obsessed with BoA‘s english album but knew like nothing about her.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
Back in 2010 I accidentally clicked on SHINee’s Lucifer instead of the next Digimon episode I wanted to watch. Down the rabbit hole I went...

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
A friend of mine started talking to me about it as they got into it and didn't have anyone to really talk to about it and eventually ended up coming across a livestream for Show Champion stages which from that I started liking some groups.
Which group got you first??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread