COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Happy 102th Birthday Finland! (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Today is independence day in Finland (6th) which marks beginning of 102th year Finland has been independent country. Not as cool as 100th, there isn't that big of celebrations even, but still a big event in Finland and national holiday. There is some traditional events like "Linnan Juhlat", exclusive party that president couple keeps and people tune in to watch on tv to decide who dressed best and who worst. And ofc there is parades and such.

I'm not sure what I would put in this thread, but I guess I will go with cool finnish inventions and products that people might not know are Finnish :d

NOKIA

- Also texting (SMS) & web browser, pioneering those two.

Angry Birds

Other games: Hay Day & Clash of Clans. There is tons of mobile game companies in Finland and they are one of main exports.

Sauna

Historically important places to wash yourself and take care of your hygiene, as well as give birth and take care of people who are sick. It's believed saunas were in Finland since 7000 BC.

It's said that there are more saunas in Finland than cars. I guess that's right, I don't have car, but i have sauna in my one room apartment. Lot of other countries have today saunas on their own, but they are often quite different, I have heard that some of them are quite cold around 50-60C when Finnish saunas are between 80-120C depending how much you throw water on stones (and lot of saunas outside of Finland don't have these stones).

Molotov Cocktail

While not first to use bottles with flammable liquid, Molotov Cocktail name comes from Finland and Finland was probably first to mass produce said weapons for far efforts during Winter War With Soviet Union. Name "Molotov Cocktail" is to mock Soviet Union's foreign minister who claimed that bombing missions in Finland were humanitarian food relieves. So the Cocktail was drink to go with the food the Soviet Union was so generously providing.

Berlusconi Pizza

Since there was already one invention which name is meant to mock the person it was named after, why not have another. This is more modern story, but after visiting Finland Italian's prime minister of the time mocked Finnish food. So this one pizza company wanted to return the favor and created pizza called Berlusconi. Despite it's name the pizza has very finnish ingredients from smoked reindeer to rye crust. And the pizza company won international pizza contents in New York with this pizza. Despite that it happened couple years ago the pizza company still sells Berlusconi pizza and I have tasted it, pretty good but not biggest fan of rye crust ^^

Moomins

Thanks to japanese anime of Moomins, they have become somewhat popular internationally ^^

Dish drying closet

I'm surprised these haven't become more popular internationally. Definitely more convenient than drying your dishes by hand ^^;

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Must have gotten so old by being so great at raking your forests.

Finnish people such great sense of humor

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
No mention of Kimi Raikkonen and Teemu Pukki :irenecrazy:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Must have gotten so old by being so great at raking your forests.

Finnish people such great sense of humor
Everytime Trump even mentions Finland it's meme material

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
I didn't know they made the molotov cocktail or Nokia. (You learn something new everyday)
The finns are great musicians as well as inventors. This much is true.

I hope you had a nice time celebrating it as I think you would have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread