COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Variety Fans call for Chinese reality show ‘Chase Me’ to be cancelled after Godfrey Gao's death during filming (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Fans have called for the program's cancellation.
As stated in the article, a MMA n boxing champion struggled during the second episode.

Earlier today;

And
Also, reportedly(I hvnt watched this show but followed this news today), Wu Xuanyi(WJSN), Yuqi(G-IDLE) n Lucas of Wayv appeared exhausted/struggling during the episodes they were in.
As I read other threads n considered, the ultimate responsibility may not be known but if u hv watched Ninja Warrior tv show, I think voluntary choice to appear on such a challenging show as well as medical fitness shd be a requirement, whether personal(the participant) or the producers to be a condition of continuing this show.
Maybe postpone/delay production until they resolve the issues surrounding the show. It seems to me a time bomb if they hv young idols like Xuanyi n Yuqi doing tiring n scary stuff after this incident. I know Yuqi is regular on China version of Running Man but Chase Me seems too extreme to me unless the participants are fully aware like how Korean Running Man show did challenging episodes but the regulars/guests were Song Jihyo/Jeon Somin/Lee Dahee. Tough/scary/tiring challenges IIRC weren't posed like this show unless the participant were up to it. Even then, Sung Hoon, or other participants IIRC weren't struggling like Zou Shiming, the MMA/boxing champion mentioned above. (If challenging show like Japan's Ninja Warrior is wat they(tv/production company) is after, they should license it n everybody would know wat they're in for; not just mix n match n hv guests not fully aware of the requirements of the show. Or at least hv fitness/medical checks mandatory (either personal) or production company provided/subsidized/paid for.
There is a standard for doing this type of show; i.e. Ninja Warrior but they've fallen far short. It's still new, only 3 episodes broadcast n idk how many filmed/in process but for it to continue, I hope they fulfill due diligence for this show n protect/prevent future recurrence, otherwise it shd be cancelled/remade into a version of Ninja Warrior n all participants made aware of the tough/high level of fitness/skill of the challenges.
Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before another recurrence, then definitely cancelled but tragic by then.

Last edited:

arieam

Reactions Received
Website
youtube.com
KS Coins
should be cancelled. i didn't even realize there was more to the story. as if its totally normal for a 35 year old to have a heart attack. fuck

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
should be cancelled. i didn't even realize there was more to the story. as if its totally normal for a 35 year old to have a heart attack. fuck
It's actually possible underlying condition is the cause.
In marathons in past years, otherwise perfectly healthy runner(s) died during race(s), so why I mentioned fitness/medical checks in OP n other thread. I think it's rare, so why no one thinks of it unless they encountered it before. I'm just omnivorously picking up facts/interesting tidbits so I recall it after reading about this incident.
I think triathlon/iron man event participants are also at risk but a study of 9 million over 30+ yrs had abt 153 deaths, 0.0017% or less risk.

But here it's 17hrs n a 35yr old man, compared to MMA/boxing champion, idk; possibly negligence but impossible to be sure without more investigation.
I think it's better to hv measures to prevent/protect the participants as I wrote in OP, or just stop this show.

arieam

Reactions Received
Website
youtube.com
KS Coins
It's actually possible underlying condition is the cause.
In marathons in past years, otherwise perfectly healthy runner(s) died during race(s), so why I mentioned fitness/medical checks in OP n other thread. I think it's rare, so why no one thinks of it unless they encountered it before. I'm just omnivorously picking up facts/interesting tidbits so I recall it after reading about this incident.
I think triathlon/iron man event participants are also at risk but a study of 9 million over 30+ yrs had abt 153 deaths, 0.0017% or less risk.

But here it's 17hrs n a 35yr old man, compared to MMA/boxing champion, idk; possibly negligence but impossible to be sure without more investigation.
I think it's better to hv measures to prevent/protect the participants as I wrote in OP, or just stop this show.
yea there might be something underlying but it seems like the show is what triggered it. would he have had a heart attack if he wasn't on the show? i hope they do investigate and get the answer. and yea they definitely should take more preventative measures.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
yea there might be something underlying but it seems like the show is what triggered it. would he have had a heart attack if he wasn't on the show? i hope they do investigate and get the answer. and yea they definitely should take more preventative measures.
There apparently is a link between working long hours and heart problems but the research for that was done across a very long period of time and not just 17 hours as a potential one off so hard to say if it brought on the heart attack but it's a possibility and with how demanding the show is that's really dangerous.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I really hope that this show gets canceled

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
There apparently is a link between working long hours and heart problems but the research for that was done across a very long period of time and not just 17 hours as a potential one off so hard to say if it brought on the heart attack but it's a possibility and with how demanding the show is that's really dangerous.
17hrs is a long time for such a tough show, earlier episodes had pro athletes struggled so I think it's really due to this being a new show n mismatch between the guests fitness level n the show's requirements, TL:DR not enuf safety/danger prevention protocols/communication to the participants abt the difficulty level of the challenges before signing on. The guests/participants maybe trusted the producing company since they had a track record with China version of Running Man but it's different show with different level of requirements/challenges.
I'm just sad n tired of this kinda shit, really. Both unintentionally n otherwise. This week /mth sucks.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
17hrs is a long time for such a tough show, earlier episodes had pro athletes struggled so I think it's really due to this being a new show n mismatch between the guests fitness level n the show's requirements, TL:DR not enuf safety/danger prevention protocols/communication to the participants abt the difficulty level of the challenges before signing on. The guests/participants maybe trusted the producing company since they had a track record with China version of Running Man but it's different show with different level of requirements/challenges.
I'm just sad n tired of this kinda shit, really. Both unintentionally n otherwise. This week /mth sucks.
Well not only that they are new but with how things work some shows won't do anything as long as people are okay which until now people were okay just found the show very draining so hopefully this gives them reason to change

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I have no issues with athletic shows, i think those are just fun and while injuries (not meaning anything life threatening just possible sprains etc. anyone can get while exercising) can happen it isn't reason to not let people to participate. However with athletic shows there should be always safety precautions taken and they should have medical staff as well. So if definitely if the show has been neglecting well-being of the cast, it should either have drastic changes or be cancelled.

The show probably triggered the heart attack though there also probably was underlying causes as well. But lot of exercise without rest and proper sleep isn't best for the heart and if someone is having heart problems already it can be fatal.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar

IMG_2410.JPG

I just found out this details today, it's so distressing.
If I'd known this when I made this thread, I'd hv vehemently said tat this show shd never be made again n all episodes never shown again.

I Hvnt watched this video but I found it on another forum, as posted there:
The competition/performance of this program has very fierce competition, may cause the participant (actor) physical and psychological burden. Participants need to have ample understanding of this. Fully, self-willingly take part and fully self-willingly take any possible outcomes. The participants need to obey the production company (zhejiang tv) program management, arrive to shooting on time, follow the rules on set...
All these clauses are wat I was writing abt earlier I never this thread, BUT if your show isn't called Ninja Warrior n it's only broadcast 3 episodes total; you are still responsible for making sure the participant understand a how strenuous your show is, which seems they did not AT ALL, since Elane zhong couldn't cope with the show.
Along w/UNINE n others struggling, it doesn't seem like they communicated how much fitness level was needed; in first episode even MMA/boxing champion struggled. How can you (ZRTg)say you(guest) are responsible for making sure ur fit for the show if u never confirm wat the show requirements r?
This whole situation is such a shitshow. I'm disgusted n wont give any benefit of the doubt to this show.
This show needs to be shitcanned n never made again, imo.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I know that he was using drugs, and was probably gay or at least bisexual. So while it isnt normal for a 35yo to die of cardiac arrest, it is less abnormal when that 35yo is lg3t as well as hot and popular. Crystal Meth is very big in the gay community and has been for many years, definitely before he passed away.

That said, the production company behind the show he died on has had SEVERAL incidents across several shows. Im pretty sure they run The Voice of China, where the woman who voiced Mulan for the Chinese language version was bullied into suicide despite being by all accounts one of the most gracious, pure, joyful and thankful celebrities in the entire world. She was like the Chinese Celine Dion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread