• Dear Guest, not receiving any emails from our forum to confirm your account? - FAQ

Movie Disney Korea sued for monopoly on movie screens

Reaction score
1575247246-20191201-frozen-jpg.46168

Disney Korea
is being sued by a citizen's group.

'SARAMIN', a citizen's group, is suing Disney Korea for anti-monopoly laws on taking over movie screens. SARAMIN reported that as of November 23rd, 'FROZEN II' was being shown on 88% of Korea's movie theater screens. According to anti-monopoly laws, a business cannot hold over 50% of the market. They also pointed out that in France, no movie is allowed to be shown in more than 3 screens in one theater, and that in USA, the limit is 30%. As of now, moviegoers basically have no choice but to see 'FROZEN II' because nothing else is being shown in theaters.
I don't see why this can be an issue, frozen is amazing.

Source - Link

potato

Rest in Peace Choi Jin Ri and Goo Hara
Reaction score
Ship
I think it's because if you don't want to watch frozen, then there will be basically nothing else to watch. Also because they technically broke the law.

Reaction score
I am pretty certain that is not how monopoly works. First of all Disney does not own the theaters. Now if Disney owned them then I could see. Second of all it is the theaters choice to play Frozen that many times. As far as I am aware there is nothing dictating that theaters can only play a movie in X amount of theaters for X amount of time.

Now if you want ot speak of Disney and Monopoly then you might want ot look how many companies that Disney owns in regards to film and TV.

raja

↠@bulletproof is my angelic royal pasta compa↞
Reaction score
loonaverse into the buddy hole & flover garden ღ
Ship
Wreck
I get why Frozen 2 is being shown that way. It‘s a huge movie sequel that is definitely popular. Many people would want to see it, especially when they have kids.

Reaction score
It's pretty uncommon to have movie airing in more than one screen in one theatre here. Usually most popular movies just get 3 to 4 airings a day, but different times. I'd guess that there was so much demand for Frozen II that the rooms would be full if they didn't add more screens for it.

I'm not sure if that's monopoly though. Movie theatre business has lot of icky things going on, but to me it kinda made sense why they were all showing Frozen II.

Hayabusa

ENJOY CHRISTMAS OR ELSE!!
Reaction score
Ship
It's not exactly monopoly but Disney can get away with it. They must have paid a huge sum of money for the amount of screens, which can't be matched by other studios. Plus, movie theaters know it will get packed audiences, so guaranteed revenue.

eclipsoul

Nugu
Reaction score
i firstly thought this was going to be related to the board game lmao :wimwim:
in all honesty, i get where they're coming from. yesterday i had to wait up until 10pm to see knives out because it was only shown twice while frozen 2 had 12 screenings so i understand them to some extent. with that being said, i don't think it's worth suing at all. they're just showing what people are willing to see and if the rooms are full, which is most likely the case, they're obviously going to add more screenings. also it just came out so it's probably only going to be like this for the first week or two.

Reactions: LadyLoverSunmi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)