COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Desperate plea from pet owners to ban fireworks as puppy and rabbit die of shock in UK (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Honestly, as a pet owner myself, I am distraught!

Source: Desperate plea from pet owners for fireworks ban after puppy, rabbit die of shock in UK

Desperate plea from pet owners for fireworks ban after puppy, rabbit die of shock in UK

Related video: Cabinet Minister Chris Hipkins said there's "no mood" for the NZ Government to change firework rules. Credit: Video - The AM Show; Image - Facebook

Warning: This article contains details which may disturb some people.

Pet owners around the world are calling for a ban on the public sale of fireworks, after two women shared heartbreaking stories of their pets dying of shock.

In the UK, a terrier puppy aged 18 months died of a heart attack at the weekend after becoming frightened by the fireworks, while a one-year-old rabbit "died of fright".

Donna Pilgrim posted a video of her distressed rabbit Archie in a local rabbit sanctuary Facebook page. Pilgrim said she was angry and upset.

"He was happily eating his supper this evening (Sunday local time) at 5:30, then the fireworks started," she wrote.

"Now [he] won't stop shaking."

She confirmed in a comment the next day Archie was "no longer with us".

"Well thank you very much I hope the money you spent for a few seconds of horrible noise was worth it.
Molly the terrier and Archie the rabbit.
Molly the terrier and Archie the rabbit. Photo credit: Facebook
"Let's keep fighting to get fireworks banned for the welfare of all animals."

In a separate incident, Susan Paterson wrote in Facebook group Wombwell Wise that her 18-week-old puppy Molly, had died of fright due to fireworks.
"We lost a young terrier with a heart attack," she said.

Meanwhile more than 300,000 people throughout the UK have signed a petition seeking to ban the retail sale of fireworks.

Back home, a New Zealand SPCA spokeswoman told Newshub the organisation has heard countless stories of terrified animals, some of which have gone missing, due to fireworks.

"Thankfully, there has only been one animal welfare complaint reported to SPCA's Inspectorate, where a dog was left tied up in the backyard where the family was letting off fireworks.

"The dog was heard barking and crying by a neighbour, who called SPCA.

"Our inspectors are looking into this case."

The SPCA is pleased there had been not acts of intentional cruelty or abuse in relation to fireworks reported at this stage, the spokeswoman said.

"SPCA does not support the private sale and use of fireworks and has long called for a ban on the sale of fireworks to the public."

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Are they crazy?
Great way to get more folks to hate any good animal associations do.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
If animals could die so easily from fireworks Disney would have A LOT of lawsuits against them. THey have nightly firework shows at their parks.

That said, yes, it is rare but it can happen that pets die from fright. That is why when fireworks are expected you are advised to put young pets and pets that don't fair will with loud noises in the quietest or most internal room. It's something pet owners struggle with around the 4th of July in America.

If you go out and ban fireworks you're just going to be having people sneaking them in and lighting them off in some areas unannounced. And speakign of illegal, a lot of those loud boomers that actually affect pets the hardest are already illegal in most areas. The louder it is the bigger the chance it's already illegal. What we need is more crack down on people that light off the large fireworks without a permit not a downright ban.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
this is so sad. Do they not have regulations on when people can use fireworks in the UK? I know in my state no one under 18 can purchase fireworks and certain loud an dangerous ones are banned.

There's also specific times that people are allowed to use them even on New Year's Day you can only go to 1 am and 4th July to 12 am. Also, there's bans on using them at or near certain places

tbh fireworks are actually regulated more than guns which have coincidentally been shot off into the sky and killed at least one person each year during the holidays.....

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Now I don't know about firework laws in UK, but in my country there is two days you can legally shoot fireworks without asking permit. So it doesn't come as surprise to pet owners when it happens and they can prepare. I think that's more ideal than banning fireworks all together.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
:jisoosmh: I get that some may want to ban fireworks but it‘s not like those happen everyday ( at least here in germany you barely see any fireworks unless it‘s new years eve).

big cities already started to ban and will make laser shows as far as I am aware. It‘s just getting way too insane.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
and I like to add that instead of focusing on this they should actually work towards better treatment of animals cause there is way much worse things happening to animals

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Tbh I think when fireworks are going off, pet owners should be bringing their pets inside if they are outdoor pets to drown out the noise a lot.

I saw a little bit of when the rabbit was shaking due to shock and although I didn't watch all of it due to making me distraught, my question is why are they videoing their rabbit having a shock instead of safely bringing it inside?
All that time videoing a rabbit in shock, they could have already gone inside and actually saved the rabbits life.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Tbh I think when fireworks are going off, pet owners should be bringing their pets inside if they are outdoor pets to drown out the noise a lot.

I saw a little bit of when the rabbit was shaking due to shock and although I didn't watch all of it due to making me distraught, my question is why are they videoing their rabbit having a shock instead of safely bringing it inside?
All that time videoing a rabbit in shock, they could have already gone inside and actually saved the rabbits life.
Yes definitely bring ur pets inside. On New Years eve I always walk the dogs when the fireworks haven't yet started or at least when they aren't that bad. I also avoid areas where people shoot more fireworks. You can also increase volume of tv or music inside the house to drow the noise even further and give them sth to listen to that they are familiar with. Then there is medical products that vets sell to help with the anxiety, some use those. So I don't think full on ban is good solution, fireworks after all bring lot of joy to people. And there is other loud stuff like airplanes, thunder storms etc. that can scare pets anyways.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
There are regulations on when people can use fireworks here and one was this week and I have had rabbits, dogs, cats and even a parrot myself which none have died to fireworks so their neighbours fireworks probably weren't ordinary fireworks.

Kimono

Woo Woo Wa Baby
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I hate fireworks! Animals get scared, killed or injured. It’s a reckless festival and I hate it. I want it banned for life. They talked about it like ten years ago but nothing happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread