COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Group BTS Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Who's your BTS bias?

• Total voters

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Korean news reporting on BTS performing live on SNL.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Squoosh ♡
Pronouns
they / them
Ship
Wreck
Sing with BTS!
모든 게 궁금해 how’s your day
Oh, tell me (Oh yeah, oh yeah, ah yeah, ah yeah)
뭐가 널 행복하게 하는지
Oh, text me (Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah)

Your every picture
내 머리맡에 두고 싶어, oh oh bae
Come be my teacher
네 모든 걸 다 가르쳐줘
Your one, your two

Listen my my baby 나는
저 하늘을 높이 날고 있어
(그때 니가 내게 줬던 두 날개로)
이제 여긴 너무 높아
난 내 눈에 널 맞추고 싶어
Yeah, you makin’ me a boy with luv

Oh my, my, my, (uh) oh my, my, my
I've waited all my life

네 전부를 함께하고 싶어
Oh my, my, my, (yeah) oh my, my, my
Looking for something right

이제 조금은 나 알겠어

I want something stronger (I want it)
Than a moment, than a moment, luv
I have waited longer
For a boy with, for a boy with luv

널 알게 된 이후 ya (oh)
내 삶은 온통 너 ya (ya, ya)
사소한 게 사소하지 않게 만들어버린 너라는 별 (Alright)
하나부터 열까지 hey, hey
모든 게 특별하지 hey, hey
너의 관심사 걸음걸이 말투와 사소한 작은 습관들까지, hey

다 말하지 너무 작던 내가 영웅이 된 거라고 (Oh no)
난 말하지 운명 따윈 처음부터 내 게 아니었다고 (Oh no)
세계의 평화 (No way)
거대한 질서 (No way)
그저 널 지킬 거야 난
(Boy with luv)

Listen my my baby 나는
저 하늘을 높이 날고 있어
(그때 니가 내게 줬던 두 날개로)
이제 여긴 너무 높아
난 내 눈에 널 맞추고 싶어
Yeah, you makin’ me a boy with luv

Oh my, my, my, (uh) oh my, my, my
You got me high so fast
네 전부를 함께하고 싶어
Oh my, my, my, oh my, my, my
You got me fly so fast
이제 조금은 나 알겠어

Love is nothing stronger (I want it)
(Than a boy with), Than a boy with luv
Love is nothing stronger
(Than a boy with) Than a boy with luv

툭 까놓고 말할게
나도 모르게 힘이 들어가기도 했어
높아버린 sky, 커져버린 hall
때론 도망치게 해달라며 기도했어
But 너의 상처는 나의 상처
깨달았을 때 나 다짐했던걸 (Yeah)
니가 준 이카루스의 날개로 (Uh)
태양이 아닌 너에게로
Let me fly

Oh my my my, oh my my my
I've waited all my life (All my life)

네 전부를 함께하고 싶어
Oh my my my, oh my my my (Oh, oh)
Looking for something right (right)

이제 조금은 나 알겠어

I want something stronger (I want it)
Than a moment, than a moment, love (Mo-moment, luv)
Love is nothing stronger (ooh ooh, oh yeah)
(Than a boy with), Than a boy with luv

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Just found this! They talked about Halsey again I guess she was nervous to look at Jimin's face. They also talk about SNL and their tour. :pandalove:

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Yoongi's face before that flower is thrown is such a mood.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
Pitchfork Review
Score: 6.1

The biggest K-pop group in the world try to move their sound forward but spend too much time leaning on their past.

BTS are the superheroes of K-pop, a group of seven young South Korean men—RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V, and Jungkook—who have carried the boy-band torch into the global arena. Formed in 2013, BTS cut their teeth making rap-centric tracks at a time when hip-hop was just beginning to dominate the Korean music scene. Fans were quickly drawn to their musical self-sufficiency, socially conscious messaging, and the high-art references of their visuals. Last year, their studio album Love Yourself 轉 ‘Tear’ became the first Korean album to ever top the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, earning them a new level of acclaim rarely seen by “international” artists; the superheroes won the day.

With the seven-song MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA, BTS are trying to blaze a path forward, further securing their foothold in commercial pop while proving to diehards that they’re still high-minded outsiders who preface their music videos with Herman Hesse quotes and reference Carl Jung with the best of them. But the album suffers from sequel syndrome and suggests that the Bangtan Boys are too willing to lean on their past accomplishments. The arrangements on PERSONA are busy and convoluted, and many lyrical highlights are buried in meta, self-referential schlock rock.

The album is bookended with songs built around the kind of inelegant instrumentation you’d find in royalty-free music or internal corporate videos, with big guitars and drums that sound as if they’ve been airlifted in from a downloadable sampler pack. In the case of “Intro : Persona,” the production is built around a recycled beat from the opening track of BTS’ 2014 debut. But to a new listener lacking context, the song comes across as sour and stale, which is a shame considering bandleader RM waxes poetic about his imposter syndrome and recapturing his motivation to pursue music. Meanwhile, “Dionysus” moves from stadium-ready fuzz to a shoehorned trap section to a contrived breakdown, with the members sounding as if they’re being dragged along rather than leading with their voices. And yet this closing track contains the most fascinating lyrics of the whole project.

Like Kendrick Lamar’s “Swimming Pools (Drank),” a meditation on alcoholism that was co-opted by hedonistic teens, “Dionysus” is a moment of existential introspection disguised as a party-starter. The bridge, rapped by Suga in an Auto-Tuned drawl a la Travis Scott, comments on the banality of stardom, as he applies the drinking metaphor to his desire to create lasting art. “Breaking new records means a fight with myself, raise the glass for a shot but I’m thirsty as I ever was,” he proclaims. The obnoxiousness of the production might be the whole point, but the song’s otherwise compelling concept is rendered largely inert by the grueling music that guides it.

Where past BTS albums have been anchored by strong verses from the rappers (RM, J-Hope, and Suga), PERSONA feels more disparate. On the forgettable “Mikrokosmos,” members hop on and off an expensive but rickety synth-pop treadmill, never reaching the desired emotional apex. Jungkook, Jin, and J-Hope try to craft a dramatic ballad on “Jamais Vu” but again, the rapping doesn’t feel in lockstep with everything else that’s going on.

In contrast, “HOME,” the album’s highlight, demonstrates how thrilling BTS can be when all the members are on the same page. The flows are dynamic, the interplay effortless. There are callbacks to lyrics found in the band’s debut single (“No More Dream”), but you don’t need to trawl the BTS catalog to find “HOME” captivating, a song about pining for a real connection in the face of outward successes. Elsewhere, the collaborations are enjoyable, but far from spectacular: Halsey (minimally) guests on lead single “Boy With Luv,” and Ed Sheeran (thankfully) stays behind the scenes on the R&B tune “Make It Right.”

PERSONA is not a failure, but it’s tough to call it a triumph. BTS have a deeper understanding of how to capture global audiences than most K-pop groups would ever dream of: Together, the seven members are a mesmerizing unit. When they sound fully in control of their music and in tune with one another, BTS transcend language and culture barriers. PERSONA falters because the band and their producers lose sight of crafting airtight songs in an effort to further the mythos they’ve built within their massive audience.

The best superhero stories are written for the whole world: They speak to both diehard fans and newcomers, tackling the human condition while throwing in nerdy references, delivering an epic experience that unifies people who might otherwise not have anything in common. BTS have already proven themselves, but on PERSONA, the band spends too much time looking back and not enough time being the K-pop superheroes the world deserves.

I think the score is pretty fair -- it was an okay album IMO, especially coming off the end of a series and come into a new series, but it was not spectacular to me. At the same time, I kind of acknowledge it as this in-between space, you know? A bridge of sorts between their past albums and where they're heading to next. Maybe it's my fan-girl talking, but I'm willing to extend some grace on that bridge.

I'll be honest -- past the first day, I haven't listened to the album much (other than Intro: Persona), but I'm gonna go back and listen to it again today. I'll be taking my mom for her checkup (lol) so I'm gonna introduce her to it. (I can hear her now: "But what are they saying?")

I think many of the fans enjoy the mythos and new fans may be excited to delve into the old and follow along to the new. I still find most of the songs on the album enjoyable, but in that laid-back way, if that makes sense? I see the bridge they're using to cross and I'm willing to walk along it as we head toward the next comeback.

But screw Author-san, lol, Make It Right is boss xD

Edit: Fixed spoiler/quote issue

Last edited:
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Pitchfork Review
Score: 6.1

I think the score is pretty fair -- it was an okay album IMO, especially coming off the end of a series and come into a new series, but it was not spectacular to me. At the same time, I kind of acknowledge it as this in-between space, you know? A bridge of sorts between their past albums and where they're heading to next. Maybe it's my fan-girl talking, but I'm willing to extend some grace on that bridge.

I'll be honest -- past the first day, I haven't listened to the album much (other than Intro: Persona), but I'm gonna go back and listen to it again today. I'll be taking my mom for her checkup (lol) so I'm gonna introduce her to it. (I can hear her now: "But what are they saying?")

I think many of the fans enjoy the mythos and new fans may be excited to delve into the old and follow along to the new. I still find most of the songs on the album enjoyable, but in that laid-back way, if that makes sense? I see the bridge they're using to cross and I'm willing to walk along it as we head toward the next comeback.

But screw Author-san, lol, Make It Right is boss xD
hm
I actually totally disagree with this review, but I am not a professional music critic, so I can't say that they are wrong.
Mikrokosmos is one of favorite song and I don't really like Home, which they call the highlight of the album. So..
But I am glad that they did a review :pepeheart: tho for me it doesnt really matter, I still like it more than Answer/Tear (and I liked the LY series)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
hm
I actually totally disagree with this review, but I am not a professional music critic, so I can't say that they are wrong.
Mikrokosmos is one of favorite song and I don't really like Home, which they call the highlight of the album. So..
But I am glad that they did a review :pepeheart: tho for me it doesnt really matter, I still like it more than Answer/Tear (and I liked the LY series)
And that's all that matters. As long as you enjoy the music, then mission accomplished!!
:pandalove: (Besides, critic reviews have been more and more tinged with personal* preference and opinion more than an unbiased, critical reflection of the subject in which they're critiquing. So meh.)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
It looks like yt confirmed that boy with luv gained 74.6 million views in the first 24 hours
I hope the fandom will calm down now :sanapray:

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Looks like the boys are finally back home. I feel bad that they went through that crowd though. So many people. >_< They probably feel super jet lagged too. Hopefully they'll be feeling better soon. ❤

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread