Discussion 📚📖BOOK SUGGESTION THREAD📖📚

Bookworm

Nugu
Reaction score
I've been trying to read Neuromancer, because it's the "original cyberpunk novel," and I want to get into that genre, but the writing seems so... sloppy? Has anyone read Neuromancer, and is it worth forging ahead with it?

Reactions: SteviSone

StarlessHeaven

the ice age never fades
Reaction score
A book I did love a lot was clive barker's Mister B Gone.
It had a simple story but it was excellently written and the atmospheric tension of
good vs evil is unforgettable. I highly reccomend it to anyone that likes horror novels, the like of stephen king.

Also the great and secret show.

Reactions: Bookworm

SteviSone

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been trying to read Neuromancer, because it's the "original cyberpunk novel," and I want to get into that genre, but the writing seems so... sloppy? Has anyone read Neuromancer, and is it worth forging ahead with it?
I've read Neuromancer, Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive, first trilogy (Sprawl) by William Gibson. [im a big science fiction book fan] Also read Virtual Light, Idoru n All Tomorrow's Parties(Bridge Trilogy.) Then Pattern Recognition ,Spook Country and Zero History(Blue Ant Trilogy, my favorite is in this trilogy-until the following .)

Most recently The Peripheral (not cyberpunk but kinda evolved from cyberpunk; in a sense), start of probably a new trilogy-Agency is out in 2020, related to the Peripheral.
I'd suggest reading The Peripheral as I really like it. It's much less sloppy writing than Neuromancer; imo the ideas in it (Neuromancer hv been overtaken by the Internet n cell phones, but I hvnt read it in maybe 15/20 yrs.)

I suggest Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as a different cyberpunk novel to read. It's cyberpunk-ish but written later it's closer to a recognizable vision of wat we know of the net n computers(if I remember right). It's version of cyberspace probably influenced real-world computer tech stuff as lots of people read it n it influenced them. (I think Neuromancer inspired science fiction writers but Snow Crash influenced n inspired real life computer tech guys, as far as I read about.) Or you can read both (if you do this you don't have to read Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive unless you really want to; it's not really a continuation I think [I don't remember] but a look at the other characters n the wider world) and see what you think.

• Love

Bookworm

Nugu
Reaction score
I've read Neuromancer, Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive, first trilogy (Sprawl) by William Gibson. [im a big science fiction book fan] Also read Virtual Light, Idoru n All Tomorrow's Parties(Bridge Trilogy.) Then Pattern Recognition ,Spook Country and Zero History(Blue Ant Trilogy, my favorite is in this trilogy-until the following .)

Most recently The Peripheral (not cyberpunk but kinda evolved from cyberpunk; in a sense), start of probably a new trilogy-Agency is out in 2020, related to the Peripheral.
I'd suggest reading The Peripheral as I really like it. It's much less sloppy writing than Neuromancer; imo the ideas in it (Neuromancer hv been overtaken by the Internet n cell phones, but I hvnt read it in maybe 15/20 yrs.)

I suggest Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as a different cyberpunk novel to read. It's cyberpunk-ish but written later it's closer to a recognizable vision of wat we know of the net n computers(if I remember right). It's version of cyberspace probably influenced real-world computer tech stuff as lots of people read it n it influenced them. (I think Neuromancer inspired science fiction writers but Snow Crash influenced n inspired real life computer tech guys, as far as I read about.) Or you can read both (if you do this you don't have to read Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive unless you really want to; it's not really a continuation I think [I don't remember] but a look at the other characters n the wider world) and see what you think.
Thank you for such a thorough and informative answer :nekolove:

Do the Sprawl, Bridge, and Blue Ant trilogies have anything to do with each other? I did hear the Sprawl Trilogy is only loosely connected, like you said, so I doubt they do, but just in case.

I think I'll read Snow Crash first, actually. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and the premise is just so silly, yet makes so much sense (and that's kind of terrifying to think about XD). I'll also be to sure to look into The Peripheral c: And would you recommend the Blue Ant Trilogy as well?

Reactions: MashiroQueen

SteviSone

Rookie
Reaction score
Thank you for such a thorough and informative answer :nekolove:

Do the Sprawl, Bridge, and Blue Ant trilogies have anything to do with each other? I did hear the Sprawl Trilogy is only loosely connected, like you said, so I doubt they do, but just in case.

I think I'll read Snow Crash first, actually. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and the premise is just so silly, yet makes so much sense (and that's kind of terrifying to think about XD). I'll also be to sure to look into The Peripheral c: And would you recommend the Blue Ant Trilogy as well?
I'd suggest maybe The Difference Engine, actually: its separate from all his trilogies n written with Bruce Sterling. It's an alternate history, I don't remember everything; going by synopsis-concerns a real invention in our history called The Difference Engine, which was not fully built at that time. Can't remember much else about the story but its complete by itself, so you might try find a more complete description n read it if it interests you.

The Sprawl, Bridge n Blue Ant trilogies: the Sprawl n Bridge r kinda obsolete in a way cos of internet n cell phones kinda but might still be interesting. I do like the Blue Ant trio but mostly the second book Spook Country.

You could go backwards if you like each book this way-Peripheral, then go to Blue Ant 1,2,3. If you like that, go Sprawl1,2,3 or Bridge1,2,3 or reverse Bridge1,2,3 then Sprawl1,2,3.
I read them all but not remember much n not gonna read them again rn, or soon. I'm going to read the Agency cos I liked the Peripheral a lot.

Or if you read Snow Crash, you could read (a)Diamond Age; (b)Cryptonomicon; (c1)Quicksilver; (c2) Confusion; (c3)System of the World. (d)Anathem; (e) Reamde (f) Seveneves ; (g) Fall; or Dodge in Hell.
These are mostly separate except (c) has events abt 300 years earlier than (b) set in the same continuity. All the others seem separate including Snow Crash n Diamond Age.

You could skip Anathem n Seveneves unless you read a description n like the description. People complain those are overlong or other things but you might like them. I haven't read Fall cos it just came out this year n I hvnt bought it. I really like Reamde n you could read it without reading any other of his books. thats my memory of those two authors cyberpunk related science fiction, mostly they've moved away from it later.

And science fiction n fantasy books r my interest since I was a kid, so....but not all fantasy cos there's too many new now i hvnt read. Same with more recent science fiction after I started working n had less time, also newer books aren't to my taste as much.

Bookworm

Nugu
Reaction score
I'd suggest maybe The Difference Engine, actually: its separate from all his trilogies n written with Bruce Sterling. It's an alternate history, I don't remember everything; going by synopsis-concerns a real invention in our history called The Difference Engine, which was not fully built at that time. Can't remember much else about the story but its complete by itself, so you might try find a more complete description n read it if it interests you.

The Sprawl, Bridge n Blue Ant trilogies: the Sprawl n Bridge r kinda obsolete in a way cos of internet n cell phones kinda but might still be interesting. I do like the Blue Ant trio but mostly the second book Spook Country.

You could go backwards if you like each book this way-Peripheral, then go to Blue Ant 1,2,3. If you like that, go Sprawl1,2,3 or Bridge1,2,3 or reverse Bridge1,2,3 then Sprawl1,2,3.
I read them all but not remember much n not gonna read them again rn, or soon. I'm going to read the Agency cos I liked the Peripheral a lot.

Or if you read Snow Crash, you could read (a)Diamond Age; (b)Cryptonomicon; (c1)Quicksilver; (c2) Confusion; (c3)System of the World. (d)Anathem; (e) Reamde (f) Seveneves ; (g) Fall; or Dodge in Hell.
These are mostly separate except (c) has events abt 300 years earlier than (b) set in the same continuity. All the others seem separate including Snow Crash n Diamond Age.

You could skip Anathem n Seveneves unless you read a description n like the description. People complain those are overlong or other things but you might like them. I haven't read Fall cos it just came out this year n I hvnt bought it. I really like Reamde n you could read it without reading any other of his books. thats my memory of those two authors cyberpunk related science fiction, mostly they've moved away from it later.

And science fiction n fantasy books r my interest since I was a kid, so....but not all fantasy cos there's too many new now i hvnt read. Same with more recent science fiction after I started working n had less time, also newer books aren't to my taste as much.
Ah, okay, thanks :) I think I'm more interested in Gibson's work on the whole, to be honest. I do find his prose a bit odd, but he intrigues me, honestly, with all his "out there" concepts. So I'll probably read Snow Crash, then Peripheral, and hopefully work my way back to Blue Ant and such. I'll also look into The Difference Engine as well <3

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reaction score
Ship
Opinions on The Perks of Being a Wallflower? My book club is gonna read it needa see if it’s worth my time
wish I could help but I never read it ;-;

Reactions: MashiroQueen

mysteric

Reaction score
Ship
also, my friend’s bf is starting the Shadowhunters and what does he decide is a good idea? Start in Lady Midnight

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
Reaction score
also, my friend’s bf is starting the Shadowhunters and what does he decide is a good idea? Start in Lady Midnight
Omg okay he should NOT start with Lady Midnight!!! He should start with City of Bones!!! So many things mentioned in Lady Midnight are things that happen in the original series!!!!

Gotta admit, I loved Lady Midnight more than City of Bones tho :zoomeyes:

Reactions: mysteric

mysteric

Reaction score
Ship
Omg okay he should NOT start with Lady Midnight!!! He should start with City of Bones!!! So many things mentioned in Lady Midnight are things that happen in the original series!!!!

Gotta admit, I loved Lady Midnight more than City of Bones tho :zoomeyes:
I saw my other friend and he was just lying in the ground complaining about how he hates the first two books (he skips over them for all his rereads) but how important they are

Reactions: Marianthi

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
Reaction score
I saw my other friend and he was just lying in the ground complaining about how he hates the first two books (he skips over them for all his rereads) but how important they are
Well they ain't the best imo but they are so freaking important. The whole series becomes way better with book 3 and 4 and 5 are freaking amazing. Altho I gotta say book 2 is better than book 1 by miles

mysteric

Reaction score
Ship
What does everyone here look for in the ending to a book (other than it just being a good ending)? :dubuthink:
a feeling of fulfillment, like I didn’t read an entire book for an ending that I expected halfway through the book, or that doesn’t make any sense given the context
idk if that made sense or not

Bookworm

Nugu
Reaction score
a feeling of fulfillment, like I didn’t read an entire book for an ending that I expected halfway through the book, or that doesn’t make any sense given the context
idk if that made sense or not
I think that makes sense c: So, not predictable or irrational, basically? What if the book doesn't have any major twists?

mysteric

Reaction score
Ship
I think that makes sense c: So, not predictable or irrational, basically? What if the book doesn't have any major twists?
I think it depends really
Sometimes major twists is what makes a book amazing, but other times it’s just used to facilitate the ending the author wants, which is annoying

Bookworm

Nugu
Reaction score
I think it depends really
Sometimes major twists is what makes a book amazing, but other times it’s just used to facilitate the ending the author wants, which is annoying
Yeah, I agree. Thanks for replying, by the way :) I'm trying to write my own novel, so this is really helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)