COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Are inter-company groups the future of K-POP? (Long Post) (1 Viewer)

Discipline

Together, Just be joyful tonight.
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
By 'Inter-company groups', I mean groups that appear to or work as their own company within their own representative company, a literal example would be Super Junior with the SJ Label, whereas a non-literal example would be Seventeen which mostly produces most of their their stuff by themselves despite not being under a separate label.

Recently, JYP was at a press conference where he explained his plans for 2019, something that is called, 'JYP 2.0', the concept of this is, that in 2019, he will debut 4 groups (One of them being Itzy) and they will have their own company, own marketing team, managers, representatives and etc. It sounds crazy and expensive to debut 4 groups in one year, and almost impossible to manage, it's also an idea that hasn't been done before. But JYP is confident about it, why? JYP goes on to explain that prior to this, he had experimented with the concept of a Inter-Company group to see how successful that would be, revealing that the group was Twice. Twice has become the biggest girl group of the third generation, continuing to thrive with each comeback, which shows how his little experiment didn't only succeed, but had outstanding results. This could pose a potential threat to other companies, but is this the first time that a Inter-Company group has existed?

Not really, as I mentioned briefly, Super Junior have their own label under SM which manages the group, it's individual activities as well as joint activities. The group isn't exactly in their prime anymore, but the world of KPOP and Korea's GP hasn't forgotten about them. The group continues to enter a new music market, and has been experimenting with styles for years. Despite being a senior group, they continue to release music and garner positive results from their comebacks. Obviously, this example isn't as intense as JYP's plan with having 4 separate groups under one label, but the idea of having such a large amount of trainees debuting under one name isn't something new.

Unlike Super Junior, NCT haven't got their own label, they're still under SM Ent directly. But I'm not willingly going to call, NCT Dream, NCT U, NCT 127 and now WavyV as 'sub-units'. For them to be called sub-units, they'd have to be a consistent body where the members are united as one group, last year, it could've been argued that NCT 2018 was that, but it can't be argued any longer with the addition of Kun, Hendery, Yangyang and Xiaojun. These 'sub-units' are the sizes of an average kpop group, and the whole concept of NCT behaves as it's own company, currently with 127 and WavyV being the only permanent 'sub-units'. I'd personally argue that Dream and U are more like pre-debut shows, they showcase the 'trainees', allowing them to perform and gain popularity before debuting into one of the permanent units. For Dreamies, they have to wait until they become of age, during this process, new members will be added and that's how the 'sub-unit' will continue to thrive. NCT U on the other hand, is for the members that ARE of age but there isn't exactly a unit available for them, they're put in the temporary unit to advertise and gain popularity until there is a place open for them in another unit (Eg. Jungwoo with his addition to 127). There are already 6 new rookies predicted to go into NCT and I doubt that this will slow down at any point. I believe that once NCT creates an established pattern for itself, since it's still in the experimentation stage, it will become a label for male trainees to go into and debut under one of the NCT groups.

I don't think that idea is far fetched especially since when Super Junior debuted, SM had the idea of a rotational group with no fixed members, this hadn't worked out in their favour as fans grew too attached to the lineup. So the experiment that Super Junior was meant to be, failed. However, they still had a chance to experiment with Super Junior, which was to make an independent label for them and learn from it.

So two Big3 companies are using this idea of Inter-Company Groups, JYP debuting 4 groups under one label and SM debuting an ambiguous group with multiple 'sub-units'. Could this be the future for groups? As each year, groups seem to debut with more members than usual to previous generations and some groups even creating clear distinctions between the rap, vocal and dance units (Eg. Seventeen).. I wonder what we're going to see this year

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Great thread, Disp. In the long run, yes I think inter-company is the future. However, there will always be companies outside of the Big 3 who will debut groups under their regime. I really believe that there will be no other male group in S.M. that won't be some kind of NCT group. Not sure how TWICE would be inter-company since their debut didn't really meet JYP's expectations in my opinion. They were put in the spotlight from Cheer Up and that's when they started receiving different treatment and were invested in much more. I don't think he was experimenting with inter-company with TWICE, that's bullshit. To be honest, I am positive even JYP didn't think TWICE would be this successful.

Speaking of SEVENTEEN, I really like the position they are in. They produce, compose, write and choreograph by themselves, but under the guidance of their agency. They came as underdogs from a semi-known agency. Similar story to MONSTA X, except MONSTA X has yet to reach SEVENTEEN.

What I'd like to see if someone becoming a famous independant artist, without an agency. Virtually impossible in Korea, but it would be a sight and a half to see.

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Great thread, Disp. In the long run, yes I think inter-company is the future. However, there will always be companies outside of the Big 3 who will debut groups under their regime. I really believe that there will be no other male group in S.M. that won't be some kind of NCT group. Not sure how TWICE would be inter-company since their debut didn't really meet JYP's expectations in my opinion. They were put in the spotlight from Cheer Up and that's when they started receiving different treatment and were invested in much more. I don't think he was experimenting with inter-company with TWICE, that's bullshit. To be honest, I am positive even JYP didn't think TWICE would be this successful.
Thanks, lmao. That is true, I don't see every single company having the power or money to sustain such a formula since it's still in experimentation phases for both SM and JYP. As for the debuting, I believe that there is still a possibility for SM to at one point debut a boy group that is it's own separate thing from NCT as I don't see every possible trainee that they have to be available to be suitable for NCT and what they envision if that makes sense?

Twice is Inter-Company in the same way that SJ is, they have their own whole team behind them but I don't think that it's an official label? JYP admitted it in the same conference that he announced that Itzy are part of the Inter-Company Group project, aka 'JYP 2.0'. I can try to find a video of the conference since he spoke english in it, lol

Speaking of SEVENTEEN, I really like the position they are in. They produce, compose, write and choreograph by themselves, but under the guidance of their agency. They came as underdogs from a semi-known agency. Similar story to MONSTA X, except MONSTA X has yet to reach SEVENTEEN.
That's true, however at the same time, SVT were in a very unique situation where they either had to take it into their own hands or they would've suffered from the same fate as Nu'est, Afterschool and etc. It's still evident that Pledis doesn't know what they're doing from the Pristin situation, so SEVENTEEN's situation came down to the luck that they had members who were willing to step up and take care of themselves than leave Pledis to do it all.

What I'd like to see if someone becoming a famous independant artist, without an agency. Virtually impossible in Korea, but it would be a sight and a half to see.
I think the closest thing that we'll get is something like Jay Park who has his own company, as I'm pretty sure that you need to be signed under some form of label? Similarly, Hyolyn had to create her own company too.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Thanks, lmao. That is true, I don't see every single company having the power or money to sustain such a formula since it's still in experimentation phases for both SM and JYP. As for the debuting, I believe that there is still a possibility for SM to at one point debut a boy group that is it's own separate thing from NCT as I don't see every possible trainee that they have to be available to be suitable for NCT and what they envision if that makes sense?
I mean, that group would not really receive any spotlight since NCT are IT boyz of S.M. now.

Twice is Inter-Company in the same way that SJ is, they have their own whole team behind them but I don't think that it's an official label? JYP admitted it in the same conference that he announced that Itzy are part of the Inter-Company Group project, aka 'JYP 2.0'. I can try to find a video of the conference since he spoke english in it, lol
That's really news to me, as well as JYP 2.0 thing. I'd like to see the video, yes.

That's true, however at the same time, SVT were in a very unique situation where they either had to take it into their own hands or they would've suffered from the same fate as Nu'est, Afterschool and etc. It's still evident that Pledis doesn't know what they're doing from the Pristin situation, so SEVENTEEN's situation came down to the luck that they had members who were willing to step up and take care of themselves than leave Pledis to do it all.
Yeah... Pledis in general is a mess. The whole PRISTIN situation is just weird. I mean, PRISTIN V had more success than the group and that is kind of setting them back. I'm glad SEVENTEEN managed to guide themselves.

I think the closest thing that we'll get is something like Jay Park who has his own company, as I'm pretty sure that you need to be signed under some form of label? Similarly, Hyolyn had to create her own company too.
Yes, but they were idols first. Jay Park was 2PM member and Hyolyn had an entire career with SISTAR. I wish someone would just show up, create songs, start singing and appear on Inkigayo. Woody was a good example, but even he has an agency.

Stan Woody.

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I mean, that group would not really receive any spotlight since NCT are IT boyz of S.M. now.

That's really news to me, as well as JYP 2.0 thing. I'd like to see the video, yes.

Yeah... Pledis in general is a mess. The whole PRISTIN situation is just weird. I mean, PRISTIN V had more success than the group and that is kind of setting them back. I'm glad SEVENTEEN managed to guide themselves.

Yes, but they were idols first. Jay Park was 2PM member and Hyolyn had an entire career with SISTAR. I wish someone would just show up, create songs, start singing and appear on Inkigayo. Woody was a good example, but even he has an agency.

Stan Woody.
I will respond after I get out of lesson lol

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Day6 seem like a better example of an inter company group than Twice tbh and they aren't exactly a shining example of success unfortunately.
But yes, I can see this happening with big 3 groups, and lets be real, YG could really benefit from something like this since he really seems like he can't focus on more than one group at a time. I can't see something like this becoming the mainstream though. Its expensive, and a ton of small companies only have one group to begin with because its too expensive to debut more than that.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Day6 seem like a better example of an inter company group than Twice tbh and they aren't exactly a shining example of success unfortunately.
But yes, I can see this happening with big 3 groups, and lets be real, YG could really benefit from something like this since he really seems like he can't focus on more than one group at a time. I can't see something like this becoming the mainstream though. Its expensive, and a ton of small companies only have one group to begin with because its too expensive to debut more than that.
Oh yeah, how did I forget DAY6.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
I think it is definitely happening since a lot of groups have members who work on their own materials and often get the final say.
It used to be "here's your song and choreo, learn it".
I think this generation will definitely mark big changes in the scene, like this, but also projects like NCT or LOONA

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship

Feel free to watch the whole video

I mean, it doesnt help that they've been on such a hiatus really. Unless the girls take it into their hands then I don't really see them making it past that

Stan Woody.
Well, I can't realistically see any artist going to the top without any former experience or help. I think these types are the closest thing that we're going to get

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
You can't really compare Day6 to a KPOP group though as Day6 is a band so they're expected to be able to produce their own music and etc. So the situation isn't exactly the same.

I actually don't see YG doing this idea. SM and JYP have invested in this type of system, whereas YG seems to be focused on keeping the traditional set up of idol groups, and I doubt that he would've been kept out of loop for everything that has happened. It's not something that has to be done immediately, just like how NCT is slowly expanding and making more units instead of just debuting them all at once. I'm just excited how the industry will change and adapt

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I think it is definitely happening since a lot of groups have members who work on their own materials and often get the final say.
It used to be "here's your song and choreo, learn it".
I think this generation will definitely mark big changes in the scene, like this, but also projects like NCT or LOONA
I wonder what plans JYP has, since with NCT, it's a little more predictable with all the rookies being the boys and etc, but the only sort of evidence that we have is that Itzy is part of it, and they're different concepts and themes? hm

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
I wonder what plans JYP has, since with NCT, it's a little more predictable with all the rookies being the boys and etc, but the only sort of evidence that we have is that Itzy is part of it, and they're different concepts and themes? hm
I don't know. It's been a while since I read my sources so maybe something popped up
I will try to update the tea thread soon tho

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I hope intercompany is the future. I feel like they have a better success rate and they seem a lot happier that way.
I can definitely see Inter-Company Groups being generally more happy, they have their own personalised team but it's a really expensive alternative to the current system. We're probably a decade or two off before we see Inter-Company Groups become a more modernised style of managing groups :hmm:

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I don't know. It's been a while since I read my sources so maybe something popped up
I will try to update the tea thread soon tho
I'll look forward to your tea that you got to spill, I wonder when the teasers will spill? Maybe it will be seasonal? I don't know, I'm just interested how this will shape the industry since JYP seems positive in it's success rates.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
I'll look forward to your tea that you got to spill, I wonder when the teasers will spill? Maybe it will be seasonal? I don't know, I'm just interested how this will shape the industry since JYP seems positive in it's success rates.
Most teas have come out already. But they predicted it right (comebacks and stuff)
I heard that one foreign JYP group will debut at the end of 2019 or next year
They'll probably debut them in Q1 (ITZY), Q2, Q3 and Q4

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Most teas have come out already. But they predicted it right (comebacks and stuff)
I heard that one foreign JYP group will debut at the end of 2019 or next year
They'll probably debut them in Q1 (ITZY), Q2, Q3 and Q4
Possibly, and I believe that the foreign group is going to be a japanese gg since that’s what he said his plans are, to continue with his experiment of, “globalisation by localisation”

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Possibly, and I believe that the foreign group is going to be a japanese gg since that’s what he said his plans are, to continue with his experiment of, “globalisation by localisation”
it will be
sounds a lot like NCT. NCT paving da way :joysip:

Discipline

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
it will be
sounds a lot like NCT. NCT paving da way :joysip:
Possibly? Though BoyStory was also a part of that experiment but in China. IDK. I think that both of the companies are trying to work with something that is going to change how KPOP works with their groups, I'm just here for the tea :oof_tea:

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Possibly? Though BoyStory was also a part of that experiment but in China. IDK. I think that both of the companies are trying to work with something that is going to change how KPOP works with their groups, I'm just here for the tea :oof_tea:
BoyStory hasn't debuted yet, but both did fight over debuting the first Kpop group with no Korean members
NCT is under SM, we all know that in a few years, every company will try to do the same thing as them, just like they did with other groups.
They just let SM take the blows at first and wait till it's successful

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread