COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News APPLICATION FOR PROPOSED 'STRAIGHT PRIDE' PARADE APPROVED BY BOSTON OFFICIALS (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
You have got to be fucking kidding me? They don't need a straight pride!

APPLICATION FOR PROPOSED 'STRAIGHT PRIDE' PARADE APPROVED BY BOSTON OFFICIALS

Organisers of event previously found to have links to far-right groups

The application for a proposed “Straight Pride” parade has been approved by Boston city officials.
The approval of the application is the first step for the organisers towards receiving a permit for the event, which they are planning on holding this summer.
The controversial “Straight Pride” rally is being organised by an organisation called Super Happy Fun America, whose slogan is: “It’s great to be straight”.

In a statement released on the Super Happy Fun America website, the group thanked Boston’s city officials for “embracing progress and recognising the rights of straights”.

“The parade is a festive occasion that will be used as a platform to educate the public on the unique problems facing our community and to fight against heterophobia.”

In order to receive a parade permit, the “Straight Pride” organisers also need to receive approvals from the police department and licensing board.

According to local news outlet Boston.com, Martin J Walsh, mayor of Boston, will not be attending the event, which is scheduled to take place on Saturday 31 August.

Earlier this month, the mayor wrote a Twitter thread explaining that the city “cannot deny a permit based on an organisation’s values”.

The organisers state that far-right activist Milo Yiannopoulos has accepted an offer to act as a mascot at the event.

Super Happy Fun America had previously announced actor Brad Pittas the proposed parade’s mascot.

However, a spokesperson for Pitt confirmed to The Independent that the star had ordered the organisers to stop using his name as a mascot for the event.

While the application for the “Straight Pride” parade has been approval, the organisers say that they’ve not been permitted to fly their “straight pride flag” from the city’s flag poles.

Several people have reacted with astonishment to the news of the event’s application approval.

“As a straight man I can honestly say I’ve never felt oppressed, judged or been persecuted because of my sexual preferences. Something not all my LGBT friends can say,” one person tweeted.

“We don’t need straight pride. Feels like a step backwards tbh.”

“Straight people trying to make ‘straight pride’ a thing is like if someone tried to make a ‘white history month’ or ‘men’s history month’,” another added.

The organisers behind the proposed “Straight Pride” rally were previously found to have links to far-right and white nationalist groups.

Two of the organisers, Mark Sahady and Chris Bartley, were both found to be heavily associated with Resist Marxism, a loose ultra-conservative group with links to white supremacist organisations.

Meanwhile, in 2018 organiser John Hugo ran for congress with an endorsement from the same group.

Join The Independent on Thursday 4 July for a panel discussion and Q&A, where we ask: what is the role of Pride in 2019?

Speakers include Asifa Lahore, Britain’s First Out Muslim Drag Queen and trans activist, and human rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell.

arieam

Reactions Received
Website
youtube.com
KS Coins
really is no winning tbh. imagine what they'd say and do if it wasn't approved.

but hopefully it doesn't turn out like the unite the right rally. you know, that rally where "both sides" were terrible but only one side had a body count

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I really didn't think there was anything dumber than White History Month :nayeonisdone:

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
As if straight people are oppressed :nayeonisdone:

taemkitten

누난 너무 예뻐
Reactions Received
KS Coins
............some people just love to stoke fires that don't need to be stoked.

This does nothing but further open the floor for more hate to manifest from those that are already oppressed, for clearly understandable reasons, towards people that aren't so ignorant as to think that the above is okay or needed in the least. The whole reason that PRIDE is even a thing isn't just because you have pride of your sexuality - anyone can have pride in that, there's nothing wrong with it - but those that are not heterosexual have always been put down because of their said pride for their sexuality, told they were wrong or that there was something wrong with them, and pushed to the back like they didn't deserve a thing.

As someone who is also straight/heterosexual, I find the above ridiculous and ignorance at its finest. I've never felt nor been oppressed or denied something due to my sexuality (that should be a given). I've only felt cast out once or twice from certain people's lives or circles of friends, because I was an ally of LGBTQ and not technically part of it outside of said ally. But that's not because of my sexuality - that's because some people, no matter their sexuality, are assholes.

That being said, thank God for progress, but to Hell with backwards thinking of shitty individuals like the people that pushed for this and those that approved it.

That also being said, I do hope that you all can respond to this in a respectful manner and not label all heterosexuals, or all whites, as someone that would be so ignorant and insensitive as to think that the above was a good thing.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Lmaooo

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I get why it was approved, if they judged and rejected based on values, the same could happen for minority groups too. If lgbt rights werent legalized for example, they could also reject it for them based on the values. You can't cater to one side and not the other.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread