COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Akira gets new anime and 4k remaster of the 1988 anime film (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins

Manga creator and anime director Katsuhiro Otomo announced at his Anime Expo panel on Thursday that a new anime project of his Akiramanga is in the works. Sunrise president and CEO Makoto Asanumaapologized for the short teaser presented at the panel, and while the staff is still developing the project, Asanuma said that they want to incorporate the entirety of the manga's story.

The earlier 1988 anime film will also receive a 4K remaster next spring in Japan. The 4K remaster will also receive a release in the United States.

Otomo's original science-fiction action manga is set in Neo-Tokyo, a city rebuilt after being destroyed in a mysterious explosion. The manga ran in Kodansha's Weekly Young Magazine from 1982 to 1990. Otomo directed his own animated film adaptation that premiered on July 16, 1988 — the same day that the story has the fictional Tokyo being destroyed.

Warner Bros. announced a live-action film adaptation of the manga in 2008, with Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok, Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) directing the film. The film will open on May 21, 2021.

Update: The 4K remaster will ship in Japan on April 24, 2020.

Source: Katsuhiro Otomo's Anime Expo panel

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I didn't really like this show that much but it's still considered a classic so I'm looking forward to this
Oh finally someone who actually didn't like Akira either :jisoosmh: i have heard nth than praise for it even though i didn't like it all and considered it waste of time xd

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Oh finally someone who actually didn't like Akira either :jisoosmh: i have heard nth than praise for it even though i didn't like it all and considered it waste of time xd
It's mostly praised for its animation anyway which is better than like 90% of modern anime tbh. Plot-wise it's nothing special and almost like a mess. I haven't read the manga though and this new anime is gonna adapt the entire manga so maybe we'll finally get the full story this time.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
It's mostly praised for its animation anyway which is better than like 90% of modern anime tbh. Plot-wise it's nothing special and almost like a mess. I haven't read the manga though and this new anime is gonna adapt the entire manga so maybe we'll finally get the full story this time.
I read the manga too, but with that there isn't great animation to redeem it. I wasn't feeling the story at all, feels just really overhyped to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread